[Source: Alan Young]
The original main station building at Backworth was built in 1864, and had a strong family resemblance to those at South Gosforth and Jesmond. It stood beside Station Road, south-east of the railway bridge. At the time of the photograph in June 1967 it shows various modifications including the bricked-up main entrance and a lean-to extension on the north-west end. Some fine crenellated chimney stacks can still be seen. This building was demolished c1972, and its close relative at South Gosforth followed in 1977. Thankfully the third of the trio, at Jesmond, is extant.
Photo by J C Dean