[Source: Paul Wright & Alan Young]
Bacup Station Gallery 3:
In September 1954 a passenger train stands at the east face of Bacup’s island platform. At this stage the station is well maintained. The loco is an Aspinall-designed Class LYR27 0-6-0, built at the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway’s Horwich works in October 1896. Numbered 118 by the LYR then 12334 by the LMS she finally carried BR No.52334. In January 1955 she was withdrawn from 26A, Newton Heath shed, to be cut up at Horwich works, probably later that year
The engine shed at Bacup is seen here in 1955, the year after it closed. The sidings into the shed remain in situ as they would until the early 1960s. The view is looking south-east.
Photo from of Whitworth Historical Society
Bacup Shed signal box was built in 1925 to replace the original structure of 1881/82. This box, photographed in 1956, is a size E LNWR Type 5 with a 24-lever frame. It had closed sometime between 11 October 1954 and 13 June 1955. The box made a cameo appearance, standing in a derelict state, in the celebrated film ‘Whistle down the wind’ in 1960/61.
Photo by Tom Wray
On 30 July 1956 a Metro-Cammell diesel multiple unit is standing at the up face of Bacup’s single island platform. DMUs were still a novelty on the route having replaced steam haulage early that year. The cab carries the early ‘whiskers’ highlight. The ridge-and-furrow verandah is shown clearly here as is the generously glazed timber waiting room. Gas lighting might not seem a fitting neighbour to the modern motive power but the station itself has had some investment having been fitted with BR(LM) maroon totem nameplates and other signage; this must have been done very recently as totems are of the later fully flanged style.
Photo by T K Widd
Looking north at Bacup Station in 1956 after DMUs had been introduced to the line. The introduction of DMUs gave Bacup the most intensive service that it was ever to see, A Metro Cammel DMU can be seen at the platform to the right whilst locomotive-hauled coaching stock can be seen
at the platform to the left.
Photo from RM Nostalgic Railway Image
This dramatic photo records the destruction by fire of the goods warehouse at Bacup on 11 January 1959. The photograph was taken at 3.15am as firemen tackled the blaze.
Photo from Bacup Natural History Society
Bacup Station in 1962 during a visit by Roch Valley Railway Society Salford Hundred Rail Tour on 28 July 1962. The buffer stops and beyond it the main entrance building are clearly shown as is the station's extensive canopy. The locomotive is 52523 an LYR Class 27 3F 0-6-0.
Photo by Bevan Price
On 28 July 1962 the ‘Salford Hundred Rail Tour’ visits Bacup station. Earlier in the day the excursion had made its way as far as it could on the old Rochdale – Bacup line which since 1952 had been closed north of Facit. The train is hauled by Fowler 3P No.40063 and Aspinall 52523. 40063 had been taken out of store especially to work this train.
Photo by Ian G Holt
On 28 July 1962 the ‘Salford Hundred Rail Tour’’ visited Bacup station. Earlier in the day the excursion had made its way as far as it could on the old Rochdale – Bacup line which since 1952 had been closed north of Facit. The train was hauled by No.40063 (seen here) and Aspinall 52523. No.40063 had been taken out of store at Bolton shed especially to work this train. The Fowler-designed 2-6-2T Class 3P was built in September 1932 at the LMS Derby works and allocated number 563. Shortly after her excursion to Bacup she was withdrawn from 26A, Newton Heath shed, on 8 September 1962 to be cut up at BR Horwich works the following month.
Photo from M R Nostalgic Railway Images
Looking north towards Bacup Station during a visit by Roch Valley Railway Society
Salford Hundred rail tour on 28 July 1962. 52523 has just run round its coaches.
Photo from MR Nostalgic Railway Images
The ‘Salford Hundred Rail Tour’’ is seen here at Bacup station on 28 July 1962 with Aspinall-designed LYR Class 27 0-6-0 No.52523 in the foreground. Earlier in the day the excursion had made its way as far as it could on the old Rochdale – Bacup line which since 1952 had been closed north of Facit. A Metro-Cammell DMU is in the distance at the other face of the island platform. No.52523 was built at the LYR company’s Horwich works in July 1909. Allocated number 636 by the LYR, she was re-numbered 12523 by the LMS and finally 52523 by British Railways. She was withdrawn on 30 September 1962 from 26C, Bolton shed, and disposed of by Campbells, Shieldhall in May 1963
Click here for Bacup Station Gallery 4: