Notes: Originally, the branch line from Dalreoch continued
through Balloch Central to Balloch Pier. Initially timetables
just showed Balloch. The first specific reference to Balloch
Pier was in September 1858 timetable, when mileage's suggest
the line had been extended and Pier added. But steamer connections
had always been given and it may be that the Pier section
was assumed - it was early regular practice not to give town
and pier stations separately. Town Station became Balloch
Central on 30.6.1952. It was electrified with the rest of
the Glasgow North Bank system in the early 1960's and the
steam locomotive shed closed at that time, although there
were still (electrified) stabling sidings and a small train
crew depot in the station building. If you knew where to look,
the concrete turntable pit could still be identified. The
goods service was withdrawn on 10.10.1866.
Balloch Pier and Balloch Central closed in the 1980s
and a new station, simply called 'Balloch', was opened
immediately to the south of the former level crossing
which led into Balloch Central.
The platform at Balloch Pier still exists and the 'Maid
of the Loch' a former BTC vessel, and the last
paddle steamer to be built in Scotland is berthed
Balloch Central after closure - E.