Notes: Barbers Bridge was the first intermediate station (north
of Gloucester) on the Ledbury & Gloucester Railway. Originally
line began as two concerns, the Ledbury to Ross line via Dymock
and The Newent Railway, which was to leave the Ledbury to Ross
line at Dymock to reach the Great Western Railway at Over Junction
to the west of Gloucester. Both companies gained parliamentary
approval in 1873 but due to financial difficulties nothing happened
for another 3 years. By this time the Ross & Ledbury Railway
had abandoned their plans to reach Ross and linked with the Newent
railway to provide a through route from Ledbury to Gloucester.
For much of its length the railway was built on the line of the
Hereford & Gloucester Canal.
By the early 1920's there were 5 trains each way on weekdays
only. On the 13th July, 1959 the line was closed to passenger
traffic, with the section from Ledbury to Dymock closing completely
but the Gloucester end of the track continued to be used for goods
traffic until 30th May, 1964.