Station Name: BEXHILL WEST


[Source: Nick Catford & Peter Harding (History)

Bexhill West Station Gallery 2 1950 - 1962

Looking north from No.2 signal box at Bexhill West in May 1950. A train from Crowhurst has just arrived at platform 2 while carriages are stabled in Platform 3 and the central engine release track. These are probably having their gas tanks filled from the two large tanks seen at the end of the middle line: note the pipes draped across the roof of the carriages. Platform 3/4 is clearly out of use; it is now grass-covered and the lamp standards have been removed. The end of the engine shed with its northlight roof can just be made out on the far left.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

In 1949 Bopeep Tunnel at St Leonards had to be closed for extensive repairs. The work lasted from 27 November 1949 until 4 June 1950 which necessitated all main line trains from London to Hastings terminating at Bexhill West where the rarely used platform 3 was brought back into use. The 7.08 pm Bexhill West to Charing Cross service waits to depart from platform 3 on 2 June 1950.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

A Crowhurst service stands in platform 2 at Bexhill West in May 1955. With just four years service left 31295 is a Wainwright-designed H class 0-4-4T. Built at Ashford works in December 1909, this H Class lasted until 1959 when it was withdrawn in the May from 74D, Tonbridge shed and broken up during the same month at Ashford. The photographer is standing on the disused Platform 3
Copyright photo by RM Casserley

Looking north from Bexhill West station concourse towards platforms 1 & 2 in September 1955. The station refreshment room is seen on the right with Bexhill West No. 2 signal box on the left.
photo from John Mann collection

An H Class has just arrived at Bexhill West station from Crowhurst in June 1956. 31269 was built in 1905 and entered service that November. Built at Ashford works, this 0-4-4T lasted until withdrawal during December 1959 from 75A, Brighton shed; it was scrapped shortly afterwards.
Photo by RM Casserley

Looking across platforms 1 and 2 from platform 3 in the 1950s. Bexhill West No. 2 signal box is seen on the right
photo from John Mann collection

Bexhill West station looking south towards the buffers and concourse in the 1950s. No. 2 signal box is seen on the right in front of the concourse.
Photo from John Mann collection

Looking east across Bexhill West station concourse in the 1950s. The main station building which fronted onto Terminus Road is on the right. A second building at right angles to it is seem on the left; this housed the refreshment room, gents’ toilet, porters’ and lamp rooms.
photo from John Mann collection

Pull-and-push unit No. 661, hauled by an H Class 0-4-4T, awaits departure for Crowhurst from platform 1 at Bexhill West in the latter half of the 1950s. Several Hastings DEMUs are seen in the middle road between platforms 2 and 3. A number of these units were stabled at Bexhill West until suitable accommodation for them was completed at Bulverhythe. The northlight roof of the engine shed is seen behind the DEMUs.
Photo from John Mann collection

Bexhill West station platform 1 and the run-round loop in March 1962.
Photo by Gerald Daniels

Click here for Bexhill West Station Gallery 3 1962 - 2013


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford & Peter Harding (History)


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 09:43:31 CEST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations