Station Name: BISHOP'S WALTHAM
[Source: Nick Catford]
1964 1:2,500 OS map. The station was closed by this date although the survey was probably made a couple of years before the publication date of 1964. The sidings serving the clay works and the gasworks have both been lifted. The signal box has been demolished, probably soon after closure in December 1935. The engine shed has been demolished, probably soon after closure in January 1933 although the adjacent water tank was retained in use till 1958. The livestock pens on the dock were removed when local livestock sales ended. The goods shed is now shown as warehouse having been used as such by Dukes of Abbey Mill since 1953. The building beyond the warehouse is a grain store, built by James Duke & Son in the 1950s. The coal office adjacent to the left crossing (above ‘LB’ - Letter Box) probably remained open for a time after closure of the station with the merchant getting his coal deliveries by road.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd