Notes: Bishopstone Beach Station was built for the residents
of Tide Mills village. It was sited on the branch to Seaford which
was single track until 1904 with a platform on the south side.
A second platform was added when the line was doubled. A siding
ran to the tide mills which was worked by the Newhaven Harbour
Companies locomotive. The tide mills ceased grinding in 1883,
the store house remaining in use until 1900 after which the siding
In August 1922 the station was renamed Bishopstone Halt. There
was formerly a signal box at the Seaford end of the down platform
controlling the level crossing and sidings which was removed about
1922. When a new station was opened at Bishopstone on 26th September
1938 the station was renamed Bishopstone Beach Halt, it was then
used in the summer only.
Tide Mills village was evacuated about 1940 when the Royal Navy
took over the harbour. The halt was closed from 1st January 1942
although the last train stopped at the halt at the end of the
summer in 1941.
Although closed in 1942 a 'special' stopped at the station in
the 1970's for a Newhaven Historical Society Outing. The line
was singled again in 1975.