Station Name: BLACKFRIARS (SER Station)
[Source: Nick Catford]
Wood engraving showing the Surrey Chapel at the junction of Blackfriars Road and Charlotte Street in 1881. Blackfriars Road bridge is to the left. The entrance to Blackfriars station is clearly visible under the bridge. The open arch to the east is a mystery as according to the engineers report prior to the station's construction described access to the station platforms was from stairs in the second and third arches. A doorway can be made out in the second arch which probably leads into the third arch. The building adjacent to the bridge may have pre-dated the railway. It may have had some connection with the station. The bridge on the right is the LC&DR crossing over Charlotte Street; before passing over the SER.
Engraving from Illustrated London News