[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 6.5.1853
Location: On the south side of Central Drive, east of Bonny Street
Company on opening: Preston and Wyre Joint railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.11.1964
Date closed completely: 2.11.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland region)
Present state: Demolished. Coral Island amusement arcade sits on the site of the former ticket hall and a road runs over where the buffer stops used to be. Blue plaques are located on Coral Island explaining what was on the site. The station toilets survived for many years as a public toilet but the block was demolished in 2009 despite a blue plaque on this building as well..
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SD307358
Date of visit: 1.12.2005

Notes: Blackpool Central station opened on 6.5.1863 as the terminus for a line that ran via the southern coast of the Fylde Peninsula via Lytham. Blackpool Central was located at the very heart of the town being very convenient for all of the town's attractions. The famous Blackpool Tower was built only a stones throw from the station. The station was initially known as Blackpool but was renamed Blackpool central in June 1878

In 1900 the station was rebuilt with 14 platforms to cater for its very heavy traffic levels. In 1903 a direct line was opened from the Preston direction which connected with the coastal line one mile to the south of Central Station. It cut 5 miles off the journey and was used by express services and holiday specials.

Blackpool Central station remained busy for all of its life but in 1964 to the surprise of most people it closed and the line was cut back to Blackpool South station the point at which the direct line joined the Lytham line. The direct line closed in 1967 and by the 1980's the Lytham line was reduced to a single track branch terminating at Blackpool South Station some distance from the town centre.

The extensive area of land that the station and its approaches had occupied where used for coach and car parking. For many years the ballast made up the car parking areas and road over bridges where still in place giving the location a railway feel despite the loss of track and trains. In more recent times the station approach area has been developed into surfaced car parking with areas of landscaping. Only one of the overbridges still remains. The site of Blackpool Central Station is still recognisable as such despite it also making up car parking space. The side walls still exist although lowered and the station toilets still stand and are still performing the same function although now it is to car and coach travelers and not rail passengers.

Blackpool Central Station c.1910
Copyright photo from John Alsop Collection

The site of Blackpool Central Station in September 1989. Although the trackbed has been filled up to platform level the platforms can still be clearly seen.
hoto by Nick Catford

The site of Blackpool Central Station looking north in December 2005 - the platforms have now been covered in tarmac
hoto by Paul Wright







Before 1948






Click on thumbnail to enlarge




[Source: Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:36 BST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations