Station Name: BRADWELL

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 2.9.1867
Location: On the east side of Bradwell Road
Company on opening: Newport Pagnell Railway
Date closed to passengers: 7.9.1964
Date closed completely: 7.9.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: The platform is still extant although there have been some modifications when the trackbed was incorporated into the Redway cycle path
County: Buckinghamshire
OS Grid Ref: SP833413
Date of visit: January 1868, March 1976 & May 1980

Notes: In 1817 a branch of the Grand Junction Canal was cut from the main line at Great Linford to Newport Pagnell. The total length was one and a quarter miles rising through seven locks.

The first suggestion of building a railway line to Newport Pagnell came in 1845 but the venture failed to attract sufficient capital.

The Newport Pagnell Railway Act was passed in 1863 and the following year the Newport Railway Company bought the short branch canal with the intention of using the route for their new railway line into Newport Pagnell. The line did exactly follow the canal route which hugged the contours of the surrounding land. The intention was to continue the line on to the Market town of Olney and powers were granted for this extension in 1865 with a further extension to join the Northampton-Peterborough line at Wellingborough. The extensions beyond Newport Pagnell were never built with powers lapsing in 1871 although some work had been undertaken.

The line was complete by 30th September 1865 when the first locomotive traversed the line. The next year the railway opened for goods, cattle and parcel traffic and on 2nd September 1867, there was the ceremonial opening of the line for passengers.

There were two intermediate stations at Bradwell and Great Linford. The lines main regular passengers were employees of the Railway Works at Wolverton.

The line was complete by 30th September 1865 when the first locomotive traversed the line. The next year the railway opened for goods, cattle and parcel traffic and on 2nd September 1867, there was the ceremonial opening of the line for passengers. There were two intermediate stations at Bradwell and Great Linford. The lines main regular passengers were employees of the Railway Works at Wolverton.

In 1875 the line was taken over by the London & North Western Railway who had provided the service from the opening.

As with many rural lines the development of road transport gradually began to erode passenger numbers. The first motor bus service was in the country was introduced between Newport Pagnell and Olney in 1898 and the popularity of the motor car through the 20th century eventually spelled the end for the line.

The last passenger train ran on 7th September 1964. Goods traffic continued for three years until final closure on 22nd May 1967. The track was lifted later the same year.

The route is now part of the Milton Keynes 'Redway' cycle way network. The platforms at Great Linford and Bradwell survive but the only evidence in Newport Pagnell is the post of the starting signal, now at the beginning of the Redway between allotments.

With the expansion of Milton Keynes changing what was a rural area into well populated sprawl there have been suggestions in recent years that the line should be reinstated.

See also The Branch Line - Nobby Newport web site

To see the other stations on the Newport Pagnell branch line click on the station name: Great Linford & Newport Pagnell

 

Bradwell Station in January 1968
P
hoto by Nick Catford




Bradwell Station in 1910


Bradwell Station in May 1980
P
hoto by Nick Catford

1950

1976

1976

1976



 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:29 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations