Station Name: BRENT

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 16.6.1848 (probable)
Location: On the south side of Station Approach
Company on opening: South Devon Railway
Date closed to passengers: 5.10.1964
Date closed completely: 5.10.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (Western Region)
Present state: The goods yard is now an industrial estate but the goods shed still stands and is in use as a dental surgery. The signal box alongside the track is used as a store. No trace of the platforms remein.
County: Devon
OS Grid Ref: SX698603
Date of visit: 25.4.2006

Notes: Brent railway station was on the South Devon Railway, serving the village of South Brent on the southern edge of Dartmoor in Devon, England.

The line through Brent opened on 5 May 1848 but the station was not ready to open until 15 June 1848. The South Devon Railway was amalgamated with the Great Western Railway on 1 February 1876.

Considering its rural thinley populated surroundings Brent station was quite substantial. Clearly the opening of the Kingsbridge branch contributed to the stations prosperity.

The main station building was on the up side of the line with a footbridge to the down platform which included a bay for the Kingsbridge branch. A goods shed, coal dock and cattle pens were sited on the down side of the line. There were few chhanges during the first 60 years until April 1933 when the down refuge siding was relaid as a loop with a facing connection onto the down main line. In 1943 this loop was extended westwards with a connection to the Kingsbridge branch giving direct access to the bay platform and yard.

Goods traffic wad withdrawn from Brent on 6th April 1964, 6 months before the line closed to passengers. The loop line serving the bay platform was taken out of use in March 1965 and the track lifted 6 months later. The signal box remained open until 17th December 1973

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BRENT - KINGSBRIDGE BRANCH RAILWAY
Before the opening of the branch line to Kingsbridge the town was served by Wrangaton Station which was opened on the 5th May 1848 on the South Devon Railway which had opened between Exeter and Plymouth in 1846. Shortly after opening the station was renamed Kingsbridge Road, but reverted back to its original name when the GWR opened the Kingsbridge branch in 1893.

The Kingsbridge branch was a long time coming as many local residents didn't support the line as the town was served by three good coach services. The Kingsbridge & Salcombe Railway was incorporated in 1882, the company being taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1888.

The line left the Exeter - Plymouth line at Brent which became a junction station and followed the scenic Avon Valley for 12.3 miles into Kingsbridge with intermediate stations at Avonwick, Gara Bridge and Loddiswell. The line crossed the River Avon ten times but the only major engineering feat was the 638 years Sorley Tunnel which takes the line beneath Sorley village. Because it hugged the narrow Avon valley there was barely a straight length of track on the whole branch with the three intermediate stations and the terminus at Kingsbridge all built on a curve. The line was single throughout with a passing loop at Gara Bridge Station. Initial plans to extend the line five miles south along the side of the estuary to Snapes Point at Salcombe were never implemented and Kingsbridge remained the railhead for Salcombe. The opening of the branch brought new prosperity to Salcombe but the failure to extend beyond Kingsbridge prevented the wholesale development of the town as a tourist destination. In the early days a horse drawn coach did brisk business meeting trains and taking passengers on to Salcombe.

The line, which became known as the Primrose Line had a quite life relying heavily on leisure traffic. In 1934 the GWR introduced 'camping coaches' at the the stations consisting of old coaches converted into holiday accommodation. The weekday Cornish Rivera Express carried a through coach for Kingsbridge which was detached at Exeter in the down direction and attached to the up train at Newton Abbott. At weekends the branch had a direct service to and from Paddington. During WW2 there was an increase in traffic during the build up to D-Day.

After the war passenger traffic dwindled during the 1950's due to the popularity of the car and it came as no surprise that an early closure under the Beeching proposals was announced. It is interesting to note that traffic on the Kingsbridge line increased by around 25% in its last twelve months of life and a summer Saturdays through train to Paddington was packed out during the summer months prior to the lines closure. Goods traffic at Kingsbridge was also very heavy during the last summer on the line but there was no last minute reprieve. The line lost its passenger and goods service on 16th September 1963 despite a spirited local campaign to keep the line open as a preserved line. This campaign failed at the 11th hour due to the intransigence of the British Railways Board and the group turned their attention to the Buckfastleigh line which opened as the Dart Valley Railway in 1969 and now operate as the South Devon Railway. Track lifting along the Kingsbridge line was completed in May 1964.

Today parts of the route has been turned into a public footpath although plans for a cycle way were dropped. Sorley Tunnel has been used as part of an Adventure World tourist attraction but this is now due to close.

To see the other stations on the Brent - Kingsbridge branch railway click on the station name: Avonwick, Gara Bridge, Loddiswell & Kingsbridge

 


Brent Station in c. 1908 looking west - the Kingsbridge bay platform is on the left
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection





The site of Brent Station looking east in April 2006. The goods shed (visible on the left in the top picture) can be seen on the right
Photo by Dave Holman


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 08:57:29 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations