Station Name: BROCKHOLES
Still open but included for completeness

[Source: Alan Young]


Date opened: 1.7.1850
Location: North of Ridings Fields, a cul-de-sac off Brockholes Lane
Company on opening:

Authorising Act: Huddersfield & Sheffield Joint Railway. Part of Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway from 1847

Date closed to passengers: Still open (Closed to goods 5.10.1964).
Date closed completely: Still open
Company on closing:

Goods services: British Railways (North Eastern Region)

Present state: Open
County: Yorkshire West Riding (now West Yorkshire)
OS Grid Ref: SE154112
Date of visit:

August 1974, May 1978, July 1992, February 2016

Notes:Although Brockholes station did not immediately appear in timetables, it opened with the Huddersfield- Penistone line on 1 July 1850. It was the junction for the Holmfirth Branch which opened the same day. Brockholes had two platforms. The principal buildings were on the up (north-east) platform and it is assumed that at least the section containing the stationmaster’s house was provided from the opening. This structure, built of small, coursed blocks of sandstone, was of two storeys, but only a single storey was presented to the platform beneath a tall, steeply pitched roof whilst the two-storey section extended away from the platform. A canted bay abutted the platform. A single-storey office range stretched south-east of the other building. It also possessed a canted bay, and the pitched roof was lower and at a gentler gradient than its neighbour. Further south-east, at the platform ramp was a water tower on a stone plinth with the water crane in attendance. Finally, just before the road underbridge was a goods office, also stone-built. On the opposite platform, somewhat further north-west than the buildings on the up platform was a substantial waiting block in sandstone, its hipped roof extending towards the tracks and supported on a series of chunky wooden brackets to provide shelter. An iron lattice footbridge, added circa 1900, connected the platforms.

It is not known whether the station was lit by gas from the start, but by the late nineteenth century this form of lighting was used, with casement lanterns mounted on iron posts.

The station was called ‘Brockholes Junction’ in timetables from at least 1851 until 1878. The form ‘Brock Holes’ has also been seen, for example on Ordnance Survey maps.

Northbound trains: weekdays   Feb 1863

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays  

Destination

7.41am

Huddersfield

7.07am

Penistone

8.23am

Huddersfield

7.20pm

Holmfirth

8.56am

Huddersfield

8.40am

Holmfirth

11.06am

Huddersfield

10.05am

Penistone

11.20am

Huddersfield

10.47am

Holmfirth

1.16pm

Huddersfield

12.08pm

Penistone

2.55pm

Huddersfield

12.33pm

Holmfirth

3.17pm

Huddersfield

2.47pm

Holmfirth

5.05pm

Huddersfield

4.45pm

Holmfirth

7.43pm

Huddersfield

5.09pm

Penistone

7.51pm

Huddersfield

7.32pm

Holmfirth

9.50pm

Huddersfield

-

-

Northbound trains: Sunday

Destination

Southbound trains: Sunday

Destination

7.03am

Huddersfield

6.44am

Holmfirth

9.07am

Huddersfield

7.46am

Penistone

11.17am

Huddersfield

10.30am

Holmfirth

7.46pm

Huddersfield

5.15pm

Sheffield

8.16pm

Huddersfield

7.47pm

Holmfirth

9.50pm

Huddersfield

8.45pm

Penistone

Note: Northbound trains from Holmfirth Branch are in bold type.
Goods facilities at Brockholes were not extensive, with a 2 ton 10 cwt-capacity yard crane, and a loop with headshunts behind the down platform, extending beyond the bridge over Brock Holes Lane. The RCH Handbook of 1904 notes that livestock and horse-boxes were handled, as was coal, which was standard at all staffed stations.

Northbound trains: weekdays    Dec 1895

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays 

Destination

5.52am

Bradford ¶

5.26am

Holmfirth

6.52am

Bradford ¶

6.20am

Holmfirth

7.44am

Bradford §

6.42am

Shepley & Shelley

8.02am

Bradford ¶

6.54am

Penistone

8.33am

Bradford ¶

7.22am

Holmfirth

8.40am

Bradford ¶

8.07am

Holmfirth

9.30am

Huddersfield

8.11am

Penistone

9.37am

Bradford ‡

8.18am

Clayton West

9.50am

Bradford ¶

9.12am

Holmfirth

11.07am

Halifax

10.06am

London Kings Cross

11.37am

Bradford ‡

10.08am

Clayton West

12.44am

Bradford ¶

10.44am

Holmfirth

1.29pm

Huddersfield

11.54am

Penistone

1.52pm

Bradford ‡

12.22pm

Holmfirth

2.11pm

Bradford ¶

12.27pm

Clayton West

2.42pm

Bradford ¶

12.37pm

Penistone

3.12pm

Bradford ¶

1.42pm

Holmfirth

3.31pm

Bradford ¶

2.10pm

London Kings Cross

4.57pm

Bradford ¶

2.37pm

Clayton West

5.17pm

Bradford ¶

2.42pm

Holmfirth

5.27pm

Low Moor

3.17pm

Penistone

5.55pm #

Bradford ¶

4.17pm

Clayton West

6.10pm

Bradford ¶

4.34pm

Holmfirth

6.36pm

Bradford ‡

5.00pm

Penistone

7.07pm

Bradford ¶

5.29pm

Clayton West

8.02pm

Halifax

5.42pm

Holmfirth

8.21pm

Huddersfield

6.29pm

Holmfirth

8.32pm

Bradford ¶

6.34pm

Shepley & Shelley

9.30pm #

Bradford ¶

7.21pm

Holmfirth

9.34pm

Bradford ¶

8.52pm (Sat only)

Clayton West

9.42pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

9.02pm

Holmfirth

10.02pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

9.17pm (Sat only)

Holmfirth

11.02pm

Bradford ¶

9.42pm

Penistone

11.07pm

Bradford ¶

10.42pm

Holmfirth

-

-

11.12pm (Sat only)

Holmfirth

Northbound trains: weekdays

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays  Dec 1895

Destination

8.49am

Bradford ¶

7.52am

Penistone

9.17am

Bradford ¶

8.52am

Holmfirth

11.04am

Bradford ¶

10.40am

Holmfirth

5.12pm

Bradford ¶

3.07pm

Holmfirth

7.27pm

Huddersfield

5.17pm

Penistone

8.22pm

Bradford ¶

7.52pm

Holmfirth

9.52pm

Bradford ¶

8.44pm

Penistone

   KEY:   ¶ via Halifax          § via Clifton Road         ‡ via Mirfield
               # Approximate time of request stop for through train from London Kings Cross for                passengers to alight.
               Northbound trains from Holmfirth Branch are in bold type.

The timetable, below, was current for the year in which the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (LYR) was absorbed into the London & North Western (LNWR), prior to the Grouping of 1923 when Brockholes became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS).


Northbound trains: weekdays    July 1922

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays 

Destination

5.41am

Huddersfield

5.52am

Holmfirth

6.29am

Huddersfield

6.19am

Holmfirth

6.50am

Huddersfield

6.30am (starts here)

Clayton West

7.21am

Huddersfield

6.43am

Penistone

7.45am

Huddersfield

6.58am

Holmfirth

8.25am

Huddersfield

8.00am

Holmfirth

8.32am

Huddersfield

8.10am (starts here)

Clayton West

9.35am

Huddersfield

8.34am

London Marylebone

9.57am

Huddersfield

9.10am

Holmfirth

10.49am

Huddersfield

9.46am

Penistone

11.29am (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

10.27am

Holmfirth

12.20pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

10.32am (starts here)

Clayton West

12.56pm

Huddersfield

10.45am †

London Marylebone

1.29pm

Huddersfield

12.24pm

Holmfirth

1.45pm

Huddersfield

12.29pm

Penistone

2.01pm

Huddersfield

12.38pm

Clayton West

2.30pm

Huddersfield

1.39pm

Holmfirth

3.11pm

Huddersfield

2.29pm

Penistone

3.29pm

Huddersfield

2.42pm

Clayton West

4.48pm

Huddersfield

2.47pm

Holmfirth

5.08pm

Huddersfield

4.25pm

Holmfirth

5.19pm

Huddersfield

4.33pm

Clayton West

6.02pm

Huddersfield

5.14pm

Penistone

6.47pm

Huddersfield

5.30pm

Holmfirth

7.06pm

Huddersfield

5.40pm †

London Marylebone

7.20pm $

Bradford

5.50pm

Clayton West

7.51pm

Huddersfield

6.09pm (Sat excepted)

Holmfirth

8.03pm

Huddersfield

6.17pm

Penistone

8.39pm

Huddersfield

6.42pm (Sat only)

Holmfirth

8.56pm

Huddersfield

6.57pm

Clayton West

9.20pm

Huddersfield

7.34pm

Penistone

9.26pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

7.40pm

Holmfirth

10.06pm

Huddersfield

8.28pm

Holmfirth

10.15pm $

Bradford

9.03pm (Sat only)

Holmfirth

10.26pm

Huddersfield

9.21pm

Clayton West

11.11pm

Huddersfield

9.38pm

Holmfirth

-

-

10.10pm

Penistone

-

-

10.41pm (Sat only)

Clayton West

-

-

10.50pm

Holmfirth

Northbound trains: Sunday

Destination

Southbound trains: Sunday

Destination

8.52am

Huddersfield

7.55am

Penistone

9.06am

Huddersfield

10.40am

Holmfirth

11.16am

Huddersfield

5.10pm

Penistone

7.45pm

Huddersfield

7.50pm

Holmfirth

8.26pm

Huddersfield

9.00pm

Penistone

10.10pm

Huddersfield

10.31pm

Holmfirth

$ Approximate calling time for passengers to alight by request.
† Approximate calling time for passengers to join by request.
Northbound trains from Holmfirth Branch are in bold type.

The LMS imposed its identity on this station and its neighbours on the Huddersfield-Penistone line by installing ‘Hawkseye’ nameboards – the trademark of the manufacturer G C Hawkes of Birmingham. Embossed black letters were used on a yellow background. The LYR signage for the rooms and footbridge were retained. Biddle (1973) points out that at Brockholes odd emphasis on a sign was given by enlarging certain letters: unexpectedly large letters proclaimed ‘TO TRAINS FOR’, followed in much smaller letters (and distinguishable only from a much shorter distance) by the apparently single sentence: ‘Huddersfield Passengers Must Not Cross the Line’. Either in later LMS years or early in the British Railways (BR) era the casement gas lanterns were replaced with ones of ‘Sugg’ design.

At Nationalisation on 1 January 1948 the LMS lines in England & Wales were allocated to the new London Midland Region of BR. Boundary changes followed for operating and administrative convenience, and on 2 April 1950 the line north of Penistone was transferred to the North Eastern Region.

Northbound trains: weekdays  Sep 1950

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays

Destination

6.34am

Huddersfield

6.31am

Clayton West

6.43am

Low Moor

6.43am

Penistone

7.18am (Sat excepted)

Halifax

6.57am (Sat excepted)

Holmfirth

7.44am

Bradford ‡

7.59am

Holmfirth

8.20am

Huddersfield

8.34am

Penistone

8.33am

Huddersfield

9.34am

Penistone

10.00am

Huddersfield

10.50am †

London Marylebone

10.38am

Bradford ‡

12.29pm

Penistone

12.20pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

12.38pm (Sat only)

Clayton West

1.29pm

Huddersfield

12.56pm

Holmfirth

1.39pm

Huddersfield

4.00pm

Penistone

1.47pm

Bradford ‡

4.24pm (Sat excepted)

Holmfirth

3.20pm

Mirfield

4.35pm

Clayton West

4.59pm (Sat only)

Leeds City

5.15pm

Penistone

5.06pm (Sat excepted)

Bradford ‡

5.36pm

Holmfirth

5.21pm

Huddersfield

5.50pm

Clayton West

5.35pm

Bradford ¶

6.19pm (Sat excepted)

Holmfirth

6.30pm

Huddersfield

6.25pm

Penistone

6.56pm

Mirfield

6.57pm

Clayton West

7.53pm

Huddersfield

7.33pm

Penistone

9.07pm

Huddersfield

9.33pm

Clayton West

9.45pm

Bradford ¶

10.20pm

Penistone

10.34pm

Huddersfield

1055pm (Sat only)

Clayton West

Northbound trains: Sunday

Destination

Southbound trains: Sunday

Destination

11.10am

Huddersfield

10.14am

Penistone

6.03pm

Huddersfield

5.06pm

Penistone

10.10pm

Bradford ¶

9.05pm

Penistone

   KEY:   ¶ via Halifax    ‡ via Mirfield       † Approximate calling time for passengers to join by                request.
               Northbound trains from Holmfirth Branch are in bold type.

Brockholes ceased to be a passenger junction station in 1959 when the Holmfirth Branch closed. Sunday trains had run on the Huddersfield-Penistone line only in summer from  c1956.  Little investment was made in Brockholes station by the North Eastern Region, although a coat of dull orange paint was applied to the signs. With the threat of closure hanging over the station from March 1963 (‘Beeching Report’) LMS and LYR signage were considered adequate. On 14 April 1966 the Minister of Transport refused to permit the line to close and, four months later, on 15 August Brockholes and the other intermediate stations between Huddersfield and Penistone became unstaffed and thereafter tickets were issued by the conductor / guard on the train.


Northbound trains: weekdays June 1964

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays

Destination

6.42am (Sat excepted)

Bradford ¶

6.43am

Penistone

7.11am

Bradford ‡

7.28am

Clayton West

7.41am

Bradford ‡

7.53am

Penistone

8.16am

Bradford ‡

8.30am

Penistone

8.36am

Bradford ¶

9.30am

Penistone

9.46am

Bradford ¶

10.53am

Penistone

10.23am

Bradford ‡

11.53am

Penistone

11.36am

Bradford ¶

12.24pm

Clayton West

12.36pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

12.53pm

Penistone

1.18pm (Sat only)

Bradford ‡

1.27pm (Sat only)

Penistone

1.31pm (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

4.13pm

Penistone

1.43pm

Huddersfield

4.33pm

Clayton West

2.28pm (Sat only)

Huddersfield

5.15pm

Penistone

3.23pm (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

(5.33pm

Terminates here)

3.23pm (Sat only)

Bradford ‡

5.55pm

Clayton West

5.29pm

Wakefield Westgate

6.13pm

Penistone

6.23pm

Bradford ‡

7.28pm

Penistone

7.03pm

Bradford ‡

9.13pm

Penistone

7.27pm

Bradford ¶

10.43pm (Fri excepted)

Penistone

8.23pm

Bradford ‡

10.48pm (Fri only)

Penistone

10.23pm (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

11.08pm (Sat only)

Clayton West

10.23pm (Sat only)

Bradford ‡

-

-

Northbound trains: Sunday

Destination

Southbound trains: Sunday

Destination

12.15pm

Bradford ¶

11.04am

Penistone

3.20pm

Bradford ¶

2.38pm

Penistone

5.25pm

Huddersfield

4.44pm

Penistone

9.40pm

Bradford ¶

8.43pm

Penistone

   KEY:   ¶ via Halifax    ‡ via Mirfield      

Sunday trains were withdrawn after the summer season of 1967, by which time Brockholes was in BR Eastern Region; the NE Region had been absorbed by the Eastern in January 1967.

It was some years after the closure threat was removed that in the early 1970s the old signage at Brockholes station was replaced with black-and-white ‘Corporate Identity’ signs. Gas lighting survived a little longer. Electric lighting, carried on the massive lamp posts beloved of the Eastern Region, had appeared by 1978.

The waiting room on the down platform and the water tank were removed circa 1970, but the main buildings and goods office were retained. The privately-occupied stationmaster’s house received a crudely-designed dormer on the platform elevation sometime between 1978 and 1984.


Northbound trains: weekdays   May 1982

Destination

Southbound trains: weekdays

Destination

06.42 (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

06.21 (Sat only)

Penistone

07.04

Huddersfield

06.51 (Sat excepted)

Penistone

07.32 (Sat excepted)

Huddersfield

07.18

Clayton West

08.10

Huddersfield

07.36

Sheffield

08.31

Huddersfield

09.09

Sheffield

09.55

Huddersfield

10.45

Sheffield

12.18

Huddersfield

12.21

Clayton West

13.08

Huddersfield

13.13

Sheffield

14.06

Huddersfield

16.13

Clayton West

16.27

Leeds

16.31

Sheffield

16.53

Huddersfield

17.29

Sheffield

17.43

Huddersfield

17.48

Clayton West

18.21

Huddersfield

18.11

Sheffield

18.48

Huddersfield

-

-

20.20

Huddersfield

-

-

No Sunday trains

-

No Sunday trains

-

As noted in the line history, in the 1980s the future of the Huddersfield-Penistone service was looking uncertain, and in 1983 the Clayton West Branch closed to passengers. Eventually in 1987 arrangements were made to retain the service through to Sheffield (via Barnsley) and the train services were improved. In summer 1988 an approximately hourly interval weekday service was introduced and Sunday trains (all year) were restored. However the tracks from Huddersfield to a point just short of Stocksmoor were singled in April 1989, leaving Brockholes with only the former down platform in use. Part of this platform was raised to standard height.

The stationmaster’s house and office range on the redundant up platform are now extremely attractive. The 1970s dormer with its flat roof has given way to a gabled dormer which looks entirely in keeping. Various ‘heritage’ signs have been added, and window glass proclaims the LYR background while a poster-board – complete with attractive posters – is headed ‘London, Midland & Scottish Railway’. A LMR-style totem is fixed to a trackside building just north-west of the bi-directional platform. The short-lived BR(NER) era seems not to be commemorated!

Route map drawn by Alan Young. Tickets from Michael Stewart. Bradshaw from Alan Young,

Click here for a brief history of the Holmfirth branch.

To see other stations on the Holmfirth branch
click on the station name:
Holmfirth & Thongs Bridge

Brockholes Station Gallery 1: c1890s - May 1955

A charming scene at Brockholes station, probably in the late Victorian period. The view is north-westwards on the down platform as a train prepares to leave for Huddersfield. Part of the footbridge and the waiting shed can be seen.The locomotive appears to be a Barton Wright 0-4-4T. Seventy-two of these were built, in two batches, between 1878 and 1886. Withdrawn quite early, being displaced by the Aspinall 2-4-2Ts, these were the locos which became well known as stationary carriage heating units at various locations in the north-west.
Photo received from Ted Burgess



1854  1: 10,560 OS map. The station building at Brockholes is shown on the north-east (up) side of the track. The location is identified as ‘Brock Holes Junction’, without ‘station’.


1892-93  1: 2,500 OS map. The station is still ‘Brock Holes Junction’. The village is south-west of the station with only Brock Holes House close-by. Two sets of buildings are shown on the up platform with a smaller building on the down platform. A loop line runs behind the down platform with headshunts at each end. Goods facilities extend over the road bridge south-east of the station. A crane is marked. The signal box is on the down side, south-east of the station, before the divergence of
the Holmfirth Branch.


1906  1: 2,500 OS map. The location is now just labelled ‘Station’; ‘Brock Holes Junction’ now refers to the physical junction between the Huddersfield – Penistone line and the Holmfirth Branch.  The station now possesses a footbridge between the platforms. The village now extends up to the station with houses on both sides of Brock Holes Lane.  A large house, ‘Rockleigh’ now occupies the field immediately south-west of the station.


1966  1: 2,500 OS map. ‘Brockholes Station’ is named. The station retains buildings on both platforms and the footbridge. Goods services were withdrawn in 1964 and the sidings have been removed. The coal depot is shown, but not named, immediately north-west of the road bridge.
Click here for a larger version.


A tinted photograph of Brockholes station looking south-east c1905. The view is from the down platform. The junction with the Holmfirth Branch is several hundred yards ahead, made evident by the splitting signal on the up side beyond the platforms. The main buildings are on the up platform, stone-built with pitched roofs and two canted bays abutting the platform. Beyond the buildings are the water tank on a stone base and the water crane. The substantial subsidiary building on the down platform is also of stone, with its slated hipped roof carried forwards on robust brackets to provide shelter to the platform. A lattice iron footbridge connects the platforms. Gas lighting is provided in casement lamps. The running-in nameboard gives the name as  ‘Brockholes Junction’; the suffix was dropped from the name in the late nineteenth century/
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection


A fine study of Brockholes station looking north-west c1910, with the barrow crossing in the foreground. The group of buildings on the right (up) platform comprises the goods office, the water tank (and water crane), and then the office range and station house. Beyond the footbridge, the waiting shed can be seen on the opposite platform. The LYR running-in nameboard reads ‘Brockholes Junction’. The platforms are lined with casement-style gas lamps. The crowd of people on the up platform, the members of staff on the down platform and even the track maintenance gang in the distance all seem prepared for this photograph.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection

Looking south-east from the footbridge at Brockholes station c1920s. In the distance the Holmfirth branch diverges to the right from the Huddersfield to Penistone line; the splitting signal operated by the signal box on the down side of the tracks controls the junction. A barrow crossing is seen at the far end of the platform ramps. The main station buildings are on the up platform, left foreground, with two bays and separate ridged roofs. Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway signage is fixed to the buildings identifying the functions of the various parts. Beyond these buildings are the water tank, elevated on a stone base, and the water crane. A stone-built  goods office/store is on the far side of the water tank. The LYR running-in nameboard on the down platform reads ‘Brockholes Junction’; a lady passenger sits in front of it, accompanied by her heavy luggage. The casement gas lamps bearing the station name will be noted, some carried on standards and others attached to the buildings. A rake of empty wagons is occupying the siding behind the down platform.
Copyright photo from John Alsop and Peter Tuffrey collections


Looking south-east from the down platform of Brockholes station in May 1949. This platform’s stone-built waiting shed, with its projecting hipped roof , is in the foreground. On the opposite platform is a nondescript barrow store and, beyond the footbridge, the main station buildings, water tank and goods office. The station is lit by gas in casement lanterns, soon to be replaced with ‘Sugg’-style lanterns. The nameboard on the left is an LMS ‘Hawkseye’ design. Some passengers are at the far end of the station awaiting a train towards Huddersfield.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection


This general view of Brockholes station, looking south-east, was taken in May 1955 by the prolific station photographer Douglas Thompson. The iron lattice footbridge between the platforms dominates the view. On the left (up) platform is an LMS ‘Hawkseye’ nameboard, already seven years obsolete as the station is now within the nationalised British Railway’s North Eastern Region. The open-fronted waiting shelter has been added since the photo of c1905 (above). The station building is beyond the footbridge; it is an appealing stone-built structure rising to two storeys, although only a single storey is presented to the platform beneath the steeply-pitched roofs. Its canted bay window can be seen. The single-storey section beyond also has a canted bay. The water tank on its stone base is seen beside the water crane. The substantial subsidiary building on the down platform is also of stone, with its slated hipped roof carried forwards on robust brackets to provide shelter to the platform. The row of fire and sand buckets – a familiar feature of stations until the 1970s – is seen far right. The lighting is still by gas, but casements have been replaced with ‘Sugg’ tops, suspended from curved pipes or, on the footbridge, supported in the more familiar LMS style.
Copyright photo from Stations UK


Brockholes station looking south-east from the footbridge in June 1956. In the distance the Holmfirth branch diverges to the right from the Huddersfield to Penistone line; the splitting signal operated by the signal box on the down side of the tracks controls the junction. A barrow crossing is seen at the far end of the platform ramps. The main station building is on the up platform, left foreground, with its bay window, and the single-storey wing beyond also has a bay abutting the platform. The water tank is seen elevated on a stone base and accompanied by the water crane. A stone-built goods office/store is on the far side of the water tank. A couple of wagons are occupying the siding behind the down platform.
Photo by Geoffrey C Lewthwaite

Click here for Brockholes Station Gallery 2:
November 1956 - c1970



 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Saturday, 28-Jan-2017 16:08:02 GMT
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations