Station Name: BURNLEY MANCHESTER ROAR
1st site - also known as THORNEYBANK
This oblique aerial view is looking west over the goods yard of Burnley Manchester Road station in September 1951. The passenger station, both in 1951 and 2016, is just off the right-hand edge of the photo. Structures of interest are Manchester Road signal box and, to its right, the long-disused engine shed – both on the far side of the double-track Copy Pit route - and the goods warehouse (the largest building on the photograph) aligned at right angles to the railway. Most of the sidings in the goods yard are occupied by mineral wagons. The building of the first Manchester Road passenger station, also known as Thorneybank, was located immediately left of the bridge, beyond the goods warehouse; after the station was relocated on the opposite side of the bridge the building was demolished. After the goods yard closed its site was redeveloped for leisure use, including a multiplex cinema.
updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 09:07:18 BST ||
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations