Notes: Carr Mill Station was situated on the St. Helens to
Wigan direct line which opened on 21.8.1869. The station opened
on the 1.1.1896 presumably to serve the small population that
inhabited the area which is only a few miles to the north
of St. Helens. The station closed as a wartime economy measure
in 1917 and it never re-opened.
The local population has expanded greatly since closure, and
for several years, Merseytravel has proposed to construct
a new station at Carr Mill as the site is ideally placed near
the East Lancs Road to serve commuter traffic with a park
and ride facility, reducing road traffic and town-centre parking
problems, but funding is still awaited.
What appears to have been the entrance to the Wigan direction
platform remains as an access drive to private premises.