Station Name: CHEVINGTON

[Source: Alan Young]


Chevington Station Station Gallery 2:
Febeuary 1991 - May 2010


Deltic diesel 55007 ‘Pinza’ is passing the station site at Chevington on 24 June 1978 hauling the 09.00 Aberdeen to London Kings Cross service. The Newcastle & Berwick Railway crossing cottages are on the right, and several men can be seen on the site of the former down and Amble bay platforms. The loco was named after the 1953 Epsom Derby-winning stallion. Originally numbered D9007 it was withdrawn from service on 31 December 1981 and cut up at the BR Doncaster works in 1982.
Photo by Keith Holt from the KDH Archive


Class 37 diesel 37199 of Gateshead is on a down tanks train passing through the station site at Chevington on 24 June 1978. In this southward view the crossing cottages built by the Newcastle & Berwick Railway in 1847 are far left, and the gable end of a later railway cottage is beyond them. The NER signal box is to the right of the tracks.
Photo by Keith Holt from the KDH Archive


Looking north from the level crossing at Chevington in September 1978. The down and Amble bay platforms were formerly to the left of the railway tracks. The crossing cottages are to the right.
Photo by John Mann


The signal box at the former Chevington station is observed from a northbound train in July 1983. The nameplate has been repainted in BR black-and-white ‘Corporate Identity’ livery.
Photo by Andrew Wylde from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders private Facebook group


The site of Chevington station, looking east pre-1991. The back of the stone-based signal box is to the right, and the crossing cottages to the left. The barriers had replaced the traditional crossing gates in summer 1978.
Photo by Ben Brooksbank


In May 1988 an up (southbound) Inter-City 125 (Class 43) speeds towards the site of Chevington station. This view is from the trackbed of the line used by Amble branch trains until their withdrawal in 1930; the bay platform formerly stood immediately right of the photographer. A permanent way vehicle stands in the engineers’ siding.
Photo by Richard Allen from his Flickr photostream


After decommissioning of the signal box at Chevington in February 1991 its base has been retained as a relay room. The view in April 2005 is looking south-west.
Photo by Steven Hedley from his Flickr photostream


Looking north-east towards the former crossing cottages at Chevington in April 2005. The original building dates from 1847, but some additions can be seen to the right of the original cottages.
Photo by Steven Hedley from his Flickr photostream

A siding has been retained at Chevington for permanent way engineers’ use; its buffer-stop can be seen to the left. The down and Amble branch bay platforms occupied the space in the centre of this northward-facing view, and the booking office/waiting room block stretched from the roadside to the position occupied by the nearer container. The photo dates from April 2005.
Photo by Steven Hedley from his Flickr photostream


Looking north from the level crossing at Chevington in May 2010. The East Coast main line has been electrified. The crossing cottages are to the right, with the site of the down and Amble bay
platforms to the left.
Photo by Nigel Thompson reproduced from Geograph under creative commons licence



 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:10:01 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations