Notes: Church Road Garston Station was opened by the LNWR in
1881 as the penultimate stop on what had become its Liverpool
Lime Street to Garston Dock Line.
The line started life as the western extension of the St. Helens
and Runcorn Gap Railway from Widnes to Garston which opened on
Church Road Garston was closed between 5.4.1917 and 5.5.1919 as
a wartime economy measure. The station finally closed in 1939
probably because it was so close to Garston Dock Station. Passenger
services continued to pass through the site of the station on
the local service calling all stations from Garston Dock to Liverpool
Lime Street until 16.6.1947.
For many years after closure the line was used as an important
freight artery between Cressington Junction and points to the
east but it closed in the 1970's and today the site is occupied
by a road and a freightliner depot.
See also Garston