Station Name: COLE GREEN
[Source: Nick Catford]
South Bedfordshire Locomotive Club Lea Flyer railtour at Cole Green station on 16th September 1961. 1247 is a J52, 0-6-0 tank, designed by H.A Ivatt, updating a Patrick Stirling GNE design. It was built in 1899 by Sharpe Stuart & Co and survived all grouping and nationalisation, where it was given the number 68846 by BR. Withdrawn in 1959, its preservation story is now legendary. It was preserved by Captain Bill Smith in 1959 and became the first locomotive to be privately preserved from BR. In 1980 it was donated to the National Railway Museum as part of the national collection and resides at the Shildon outpost of the NRM.