Station Name: COOMBE ROAD

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Date opened: 10.8.1885
Location: North side of Coombe Road. Larcombe Close now occupies most of the station site with the Croydon Tramlink built on the north end of the station.
Company on opening: Woodside and South Croydon Joint Railway
Date closed to passengers: 16.5.1983
Date closed completely: 16.5.1983
Company on closing: British Rail (Southern Region)
Present state: Demolished - no evidence of the station remains except the first few yards of the approach road from Coombe Road.
County: Surrey
OS Grid Ref: TQ336647
Date of visit: September 1981, November 1981, May 1983, December 1983, Autumn 1984, May 1989 & 13.1.2008

Notes: Coombe Lane was only intermediate station on the Woodside and South Croydon Joint Railway when it opened in 1885. The stations had two platforms with a solid central section supporting the platform buildings, the rest of the platforms were built of railway sleepers and cinder. Both platforms had a brick weather boarded building with a timber awning. The station did not have any goods facilities.

During WW1 the passenger service was decreased as an economy measure. In April 1915 there was one southbound service only Monday - Friday with an additional train on Wednesday, this was further reduced to a Wednesday only train which last ran in February 1916. After that date the station and the line were closed to passengers.

In 1935 the line was electrified and the old station buildings were demolished and a new station built on the site opening as Coombe Road on 30th September 1935. Like it's predecessor the station had a solid central section to the platform, probably utilising the earlier platform which was extended at either end with prefabricated concrete panels. A new brick building with a canopy was provided on the up side of the line with just a canopy on the down side; a subway liked the two platforms.

After closure the station was demolished in December 1983 and demolition was underway in Autumn 1984. In May 1989 the site was being developed as a new housing estate (Larcombe Close) and all that remained of the station was the subway which had been de roofed. Larcombe Close only occupied the central and southern part of the station site. The northern part
of the site was eventually used by the Croydon Tramlink which opened on 10th May 2000.

On the south side of Coombe Road the railway embankment can still be seen although now heavily overgrown and the alignment is intact to Selsdon.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ELMERS END TO SELSDON LINE
The Woodside & South Croydon Railway was authorised in 1880 to build a 2 mile 28 chain link from the South Eastern Railway's Mid Kent line at Woodside to a junction with the the Croydon & Oxted Joint (LBSCR & SER) line which opened on the 10th March 1884. The Woodside & South Croydon Railway opened on 19th August 1885 with an intermediate station at Coombe Lane and a junction station with the Oxted line at Selsdon Road. The main engineering feature on the line were three contiguous tunnels under the Addington Hills, Woodside (266 yards), Park Hill (122 yards) and Coombe Lane (157 yards). Rolling stock was supplied by the South Eastern Railway who ran the service until the London Brighton & South Coast Railway took over at the beginning of 1887.

The line had a chequered career from the offset; the first proposal to close came in 1895. With increasing competition from trams and busses in the early 1900's Kitson Railmotors were introduced to try and improve passenger numbers. At the same time two new halts were opened, Spencer Road Halt between Selsdon Road and Coombe Lane and Bingham Road Halt
between Coombe Lane and Woodside. Both were very basic built of old sleepers with no buildings. Bingham Road was sited close to the tram terminus in Lower Addiscombe Road and was well used.

Although passenger numbers improved it was not enough and with losses running at over £2000 a year the passenger service was withdrawn as a wartime economy measure in 1915 when the Railmotor service was withdrawn. Coombe Lane and Selsdon Road remained open for some through trains until 1916 but the new halts were closed.

For a while the line was used to store surplus goods wagons but after four years a daily goods service calling at Woodside and Selsdon Road was started. In 1927 the track was re-laid which brought speculation about the restoration of the passengers service, this didn't happen but the line became part of a new through route to the south coast and into Kent for
excursions and special services. The track was again re-laid early in 1935 but this time with an electric conductor rail which was extended onto the Oxted line as far as Sanderstead to allow trains to reverse. Coombe Lane was rebuilt and renamed Coombe Road and Bingham Road Halt was rebuilt as a station. Initially it was going to be renamed Ashburton but on opening it retained its original name of Bingham Road. Selsdon Road was renamed Selsdon while Spencer Road Halt was not reinstated and the remains of the station were cleared away. The new electric service started on 30th September 1935.


The early enthusiasm was however short lived with disappointing passenger numbers bring a reduction of the service during WW2 with still further reductions after the war when off peak trains terminated at Elmers End. With no improvement during the 1950's closure was announced for 4th March 1963. A local pressure group was formed to fight the closure claiming there was no alternative and after several public meetings the Ministry of Transport rejected the closure plans because of the hardship it would cause to the 650 daily passengers using the line. With no improvements the Saturday service was withdrawn in January 1967 and in 1976 all through trains to London were withdrawn reducing the line to a shuttle service between Sanderstead and Elmers End, seven years later the line finally closed on 13th May 1983. The track was lifted during the summer of 1984 and by the autumn of that year Bingham Road and Coombe Road stations had been demolished. A short section of track between Selsdon and the footbridge at Spencer Road was retained to serve the Selsdon Oil Siding. This finally closed in 1993 and although heavily overgrown the track is still in situ as is the down platform at Selsdon. The junction has however now been lifted making retrieval of the remaining track very difficult.

In 1986 a study of Greater London transport was undertaken by London Transport and British Rail, one of its proposals was the reintroduction of trams in the Croydon area to ease traffic congestion and to provide a service into New Addington which was poorly served by pubic transport. In 1990 Croydon Council and London Transport began working together to
promote the Tramlink project which received considerable public support.

In 1986 a study of Greater London transport was undertaken by London Transport and British Rail, one of its proposals was the reintroduction of trams in the Croydon area to ease traffic congestion and to provide a service into New Addington which was poorly served by pubic transport. In 1990 Croydon Council and London Transport began working together to promote the Tramlink project which received considerable public support.

In November 1991 the Croydon Tramlink Bill was submitted to Parliament and received Royal Assent on 21 July 1994, allowing London Regional Transport to authorise the construction of Tramlink. Three routes were to be built, Croydon - Beckenham Junction, Croydon - new Addington and Wimbledon - Elmers End.

As the lines from New Addington, Beckenham and Elmers End converged on Croydon (click here for map) they would utilise almost the entire length of the former Elmers End to Selsdon railway line with the three lines joining at a new junction at Sandilands from where they would run into central Croydon. The first Tramlink route to New Addington opened on 10th May 2000 with the line to Beckenham through Addiscombe following on 23rd May.

For a full history and photographs of the Woodside and South Croydon Railway see the Transport of Delight web site. Click here for a photo gallery.

See also Unofficial Croydon Tramlink & Disused Railways and Eighties Rail Heaven web sites. Tickets from Michael Stewart & Brian Halford

Further reading: Croydon's Railways by M W G Skinner - Kingfisher 1985 ISBN 0 046184 14 3
and Croydon Light Rail (Tramlink) a report considered by the Highways & Transportation Planning, Resources, Fiancee & Policy Committees at their meetings on 27.2.1991 & 15.5.1991

To see other stations on the Elmers End to Selsdon Line click on station name: Elmers End, Woodside, Bingham Road, Spencer Road Halt & Selsdon
see also Park Hill Tunnel


Coombe Lane Station in March 1912




Coombe Lane Station in the early 1930's, 15 years after closure


Elmers End train approaching Coombe Road in May 1983
P
hoto by Nick Catford

Coombe Road Station looking South in December 1983, shortly after the track was lifted
P
hoto by Nick Catford

The site of Coombe Road Station looking north in May 1989 seen from the embankment on the south side of Coombe Road. The station approach road is on the left
P
hoto by Nick Catford

The site of Coombe Road Station looking north in January 2008 seen from the same viewpoint as the picture above. The platform started immediately on the north side of the bridge. Croydon Tramlink now occupies the road to the east of the station. The kurb stones of the old approach road can just be made out below the fence on the far left.
P
hoto by Nick Catford

Click here for more pictures of Coombe Road Station


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:19:00 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations