Notes: The East Norfolk Railway obtained an Act of Parliament
in 1872 to build a line from Norwich to Cromer which opened
as far as North Walsham via Wroxham on 20th October 1874,
Initially it comprised a single track line from Norwich to
North Walsham that was extended to Cromer on the north Norfolk
coast in 1877. A branch from Wroxham to Aylsham, opened in
In 1882 the East Norfolk Railway was incorporated into the
Great Eastern Railway who had operated the line from the its
opening. In 1887 an extension to the line was opened, which
had a loop down via the Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Railway
to the newly opened Midland & Great Northern Railway's
line to Cromer and onward to Sheringham giving connections
to the Midlands via the new railway town of Melton Constable.
The M & GN station was known as Cromer Beach to distinguish
it from the Great Eastern station.
The Cromer Tunnel was built by the Norfolk and Suffolk Joint
Railway to take their line under the Great Eastern's Cromer
High to Norwich line; it is the only standard gauge railway
tunnel in Norfolk.
Due to the late Victorian popularity of Cromer as a holiday
resort sections of the line were upgraded to double track
between 1896 1901. Initially the station was named
Cromer but was renamed Cromer High on 27.9.1948.
With the run down of the railways after nationalisation branch
lines in Norfolk were decimated, even before the Beeching
era and although the Norwich - Sheringham Line survived,
the Aylsham branch was an early casualty closing in 1952 and
the short branch to Cromer High followed in 1954 being an
obvious candidate for closure sited on the edge of an escarpment
high above the time, a monument to the inability of the ENR
to engineer a station nearer the town, while the M & GN's
Cromer Beach was well sited close to the town centre.
The station closed to passengers on 10th September 1954 and
to goods on 7th March 1960. The Sheringham line is still
open and is known as the Bittern