[Source: Alan Young]
Although Cullercoats station served the coast as conveniently as its neighbours, it was considerably smaller than Tynemouth (also opened in 1882) Whitley Bay and Monkseaton, rebuilt on a generous scale in 1910 and 1915 respectively. Consequently on summer weekends Cullercoats station’s cramped platforms were often crowded; the ticket inspector’s booth on the up platform (seen close to the centre of the picture) served partly to control the crowds. This view from June 1969 is looking south from the down platform.
Photo by John Mann