Bolton Corporation Tramways opened its route to Darcy Lever on 6 May 1910. It was a short extension from an existing route. The terminus was on the Lever Bridge which carried Hag end Brow over the River Tonge.
Buses took over from trams on the Darcy Lever route from 11 March 1928.
Tram number 104 of the Bolton Corporation Tramways fleet stands at the Darcy Lever terminus in the early 1920s. The trams crew are preparing to reverse the electrical pick up trolley for the return journey to Bolton. In the background the Darcy Lever viaduct of the LYR Bolton and Bury railway can be seen.