Station Name: DAYBROOK

[Source: Nick Catford]


Daybrook Station Gallery 2 July 1951- 1959


Daybrook station looking east from the west end of the up platform in July 1951. Wagons are standing in the cattle dock to the left.
Copyright photo from Stations UK


A down goods train is seen passing through Daybrook station c1954. Daybrook goods shed
is seen on the left.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

The main station building at Daybrook station seen from the station footbridge c1954. The station has been fitted with blue BR Eastern Region totem signs. The Eastern Region was one of the first to put totems up (from late 1949 and early 1950), and also the first to remove them, some in the late 1950s! The building was typical of many others on the Derbyshire extension: red brick built beneath a steeply pitched slate roof with tall chimneys.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

Waiting shelter on the down platform c1954.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream


Looking west from the up platform c1954. The cattle dock and pens are seen on the right. Daybrook signal box is seen in the distance.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

Daybrook handled a large quantity of through goods traffic. 61833 is seen hauling a Class F unfitted express freight through the station c1954. This is a Gresley K3 built in 1924 and originally numbered 118. Renumbered by the LNER in 1946 to 1833 and by BR in 1948 to 61833, it was withdrawn on 20 September 1961 from 38A, Colwick shed, and scrapped the same year.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

An ex-LNER class O4 hauls a coal train east through Daybrook station c1954.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

The entrance to Daybrook station and goods yard c1954. The first building in the yard is the weigh office adjacent to the weighbridge. Behind that is a water tank and then the large brick goods shed with the goods office at the end. One siding passed thorough the goods shed; note the large doors on the right. Road vehicles loaded or unloaded under the canopy on the left of the building.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

Daybrook station entrance c1954. The gents' toilet is at the far end of the building, hence the lack of windows and a ventilator on the roof.
Photo by John Ford from David Ford's Flickr photostream

63618 hauls an eastbound coal train out of the Daybrook yard in the 1950s. This loco was built for the Great Central Railway and delivered new to Gorton shed in 1914 numbered 393. Designed by Robinson, this 2-8-0 was renumbered by the LNER in 1924 to 5393 and again in 1946 to 3618. Withdrawn from 36A, Doncaster shed, on 24 February 1963, it was scrapped at Doncaster works later that year.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

Looking east from the bridge at the west end of Daybrook yard in the 1950s. The building in the distance on the right is the down platform waiting room; a siding is seen running behind the down platform. The goods shed is behind the signal box with one siding passing through the shed and a parallel siding passing to the north of the shed. A final pair of sidings is seen on the left. The siding with the wagons on it was extended into the Be-Ro mill which is seen behind the goods shed.

Looking west from Daybrook Junction towards Daybrook station in 1955.The single-line connection with the Nottingham Suburban Railway and a short section of track are still in place as is the protecting somersault signal. Mansfield Road bridge is seen just beyond the junction and the Be-Ro flour packaging plant is seen on the right.
Photo by Tony Hill

An eastbound passenger train bound for Nottingham Victoria waits in the up platform at Daybrook station in the 1950s.
Photo from John Mann Collection


Thompson B1 61136 is hauling an excursion to Southport through Daybrook station in August 1959. Twin headlights above the buffers indicate an express passenger working. Built at North British Loco Co, this loco entered service on 18 March 1947 at Gorton shed and lasted until withdrawal from 2F, Woodford Halse shed, on 22 October 1962 to be scrapped a month later at Darlington works.

Click here for Daybrook Station Gallery 3
March 1960 - July 2014


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]




Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 08:59:31 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations