Station Name: DOVER ADMIRALTY PIER
[Source: Nick Catford]
1955 1:2,500 OS map. Dover Marine station has been built on reclaimed land on the north side of the pier. A raised pedestrian entrance to the station runs above the promenade with a bridge across the pier line taking passengers into the station. The track alignment has been radically altered to allow trains from both directions to enter the new terminus. There are still sidings along the original alignment of the two lines running along the pier. During WW2 the Lord Warden Hotel was taken over by the Royal Navy and known as ‘HMS Wasp’; it was the headquarters for the Coastal Force. After the war the building was taken over as offices by the Southern Region of British Railways and renamed ‘Southern House’, as shown here. Click here for a larger version.