Dover Harbour seen from the Western Heights c1890, before the Prince of Wales Pier was built. The swing bridge over the entrance to Wellington Dock is seen top left. This is the original bridge which was opened by the Duke Of Wellington on 13 November 1846. Arthur Wellesley, the first Duke of Wellington, was Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports from 1829 until 1852. In 1904 as a result of widening the entrance to Wellington Dock, a new iron bridge was built by Messrs Hunter & English at the cost of £4,738. At the same time a railway line was laid on the bridge to give access to the Prince of Wales Pier.The Esplanade Hotel is seen in front of the bridge. This stood on the route of the railway line and the central section was demolished to allow the railway to reach the pier. Click here for a larger version.