1865 1:2,500 OS map. The six tracks were spanned by a trainshed with the station offices and entrance fronting onto Beach Street. The northernmost line is a bay line running behind the passenger platform up to the station office. The goods shed is sited partially beneath the trainshed protruding from the south-west corner. A single line runs through the trainshed before turning onto the Admiralty Pier. The LCDR also runs onto the Admiralty Pier from the north but the two lines do not join, each running into separate platforms on the pier. At the west end of the station the four-road engine shed is squeezed in between the road and Archcliffe Fort with the Folkestone line running in a 50yd tunnel beneath the fort. No features of the fort are shown; it is an active military site and all details are omitted from the map for security reasons. Three turnplates are seen to the south of the depot to allow wagons or small locomotives to cross between lines. Because of the cramped location of the engine shed its turntable is west of the tunnel. Just west of the turntable the original one-road engine shed is seen. This opened with the line on 7 February 1844. A second shed was opened a week later on the south side of the line, virtually overhanging the beach. This was closed and demolished when the four-road shed was opened. The ‘Lord Warden’ Hotel to the east of the station opened on 7 September 1853, but as yet the covered bridge linking the first floor of the hotel with the station has not been built.