Station Name: DOVER MARINE/DOVER WESTERN DOCKS

[Source: Nick Catford]

Dover Marine Station Gallery 5: August 1993 - June 2012

Network SouthEast 4-CEP units Nos.1566 and 1581 stand at Dover Western Docks in August 1993.
Photo by Brian Creasey

Network SouthEast 4-VEP unit No.3184 departs Dover Western Docks working a stopping service to London Victoria via Chatham on the 21 August 1994, a month before closure.  Network SouthEast signage has now replaced the Corporate Identity signs seen in the pictures from the 1970s.
Photo by Brian Creasey

The 'Continental Farewel' railtour from London Victoria is seen at Dover Western Docks station on 25 September 1994. This tour featured ex-BR Pacific 70000 'Britannia' (but presented on this occasion as 70014 'Iron Duke', which was one of two Britannia class locomotives regularly used on the 'Golden Arrow' service in the 1950s). This was the last day of use at Western Docks, the station having closed to regular passengers the previous day. There were also two mini-tours (The’ Kentish Wanderer’ A and B) with HA E5000 series E5001 (seen left) which ran with the stock off the main tour. It travelled via Canterbury West, Ashford and Folkestone.
Photo by Andy Veitch from his Flickr photostream

As the evening draws in on 25 September 1994 the railtour prepares for the return journey
to London Victoria.
Photo by Andy Veitch from his Flickr photostream

Dover Western Docks Station in January 1995, three months after closure. After 'official' closure the station continued to be used by unadvertised passenger trains to Faversham until 19 November 1994 after which date they were classified as empty stock movements. In January 1995 the station was still being used for train berthing and cleaning.
Photo by Nick Catford

Dover Western Docks entrance in January 1995; the sign above the door has been removed but the door is still open.
Photo by Nick Catford

Looking north towards Dover Docks station from the Admiralty Pier in March 1896. Everything south of the trainshed has been cleared awaiting redevelopment.
Photo by Nick Catford

Dover Western Docks station in January 2003. The listed station reopened as a cruise terminal in 1996.
P
hoto by Chris Fletcher

The cruise terminal and Dover Western Docks in 2005.

Dover Western Docks station in 2006. The trackbed has been filled up to platform level to create a car park. Apart from this and the lack of signage little else has changed since closure. The four K6 red telephone boxes (two on the platform and two outside the trainshed at the south-west corner)
are also listed.
P
hoto Ted Arnott

Dover Western Docks station in 2006; ‘SE&CR’ is clearly seen above the arch.
P
hoto Ted Arnott

Dover Western Docks station in June 2012. This view shows the Portland stone wall at the rear of the war memorial inscribed with the names of 556 men of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway who laid down their lives in the Great War, and 626 men of the Southern Railway who died fighting in World War 2 The memorial was unveiled on 28 October 1922 by R.H Cosmo-Bonsor, Chairman of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Managing Committee. The sculptor was Mr W C.H King.
Photo from Nick Catford collection

Dover Western Docks station seen from a cruise liner moored alongside in June 2012.
Photo from Nick Catford collection


Click here for more pictures of
Dover Marine/Dover Western Docks station

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Last updated: Wednesday, 17-May-2017 09:03:31 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations