Station Name: DUNGENESS
|Location:||Immediately north of Dungeness old lighthouse at the end of Dungeness Road.|
|Company on opening:||Lydd Railway|
|Date closed to passengers:||4.7.1937|
|Date closed completely:||May 1953|
|Company on closing:||Southern Railway|
|Present state:||The clinker and timber platform is still partially extant although very very degraded after years of coastal erosion leaving little more than a mound with a few upright timbers along the platform edge. The concrete base of the station building can still be seen. The gallery of pictures shows the gradual erosion of the station between 1960 - 2006|
|OS Grid Ref:||TQ088171|
|Date of visit:||May 1969, November 1982, April 1995 and 3.1.2006|
Notes: Dungeness is the most southerly point in Kent and the branch line terminated at the foot of the beach lighthouse. The single platform was of clinker constructions faced with old wooden sleepers along the edge face of the platform. There was a weatherboarded building incorporating a ticket office, waiting room, ladies room and toilets. Eventually a new ticket office was provided in a small wooden hut alongside and the waiting room enlarged..
The track layout consisted of a run-around loop for the engine and two sidings, the 'Admiralty Siding' serving the Admiralty signal station and a private siding serving ballast pits.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE NEW ROMNEY
& DUNGENESS BRANCH LINES
The New Romney line opened on 19 June 1884 and some unusual workings were introduced with two branches being worked by one locomotive requiring some trains serving Dungeness to reverse back to Lydd Town before proceeding on to New Romney. This procedure was greatly simplified when push-pull trains were introduced.
Nationalisation in 1948 initially brought few changes but with competition from busses and the popularity of the motor car in the 1950's traffic continued to decline and economies were inevitable including the withdrawal of the Dungeness freight service in 1952 and the removal of the passing loop at Lydd-on-Sea.
The goods services to New Romney was withdrawn in 1964 but the threat of closure was suspended until 1966 when the Minister of Transport announced that the passenger service on the New Romney branch would cease on 6th March 1967. The Ashford - Hastings line was however reprieved although some sections were eventually singled.
Further reading: The
New Romney Branch Line by Peter Harding. Published by the
author in 1983 ISBN : 0952345889
To see the other stations on the New Romney and Dungeness branches click on the station name: Appledore, Brookland Halt, Lydd Town, Lydd-on-Sea Halt, Greatstone-on-Sea Halt & New Romney & Littlestone-on-Sea
|Last updated: Friday, 02-Dec-2011 18:20:51 GMT||
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations