Station Name: FOLKESTONE                          HARBOUR

[Source: Nick Catford]


Folkestone Harbour Station Gallery 3: 1946 - 1950s

Folkestone Harbour station in 1946 - compare with 1933 photo on the previous page. The down platform has been extended and its south end is level with the south end of the pier platform. A new footbridge spans the platforms at the south end. It has not been possible to join the up platform and the pier platform because of the trailing line into the sidings, so Folkestone Harbour station still has two up platforms. The original SER buildings were severely damaged by bombing during the war. Only the stone entrance block and booking office survive, the other buildings have been demolished. The Customs House was also severely damaged and the remaining part of the building will be demolished a few years later. Click here for a larger version of this photo.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd.

Another aerial view of the Harbour station and goods yard in 1946. The viaduct and swing bridge are seen to the north of the station separating the inner (left) and outer harbour. The brick viaduct originally had wooden piers on both sides to support additional rails; those on the west side have been demolished. The SE&CR signal box is seen at the north end of the up platform behind the Harbour Master's house. Click here for a larger version of this photo.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd.

Aerial view of Folkestone Harbour station and goods yard in 1949. Although all of the sidings on both sides of the station are clearly still well used, the large goods shed seen on the right is no longer rail-connected. The 1938 map above shows sidings going in to the three openings on the left side of the building. There is a large crane on the south pier in front of the Customs House, perhaps being used to demolish the bomb-damaged building.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd

Ferry passengers have just arrived at Folkestone Harbour station c1950.
Photo from John Mann collection

Three R1 locomotives from Folkestone Junction shed are required to haul this boat train up the 1:30 incline to the junction in August 1954. The three R1 class tanks were rebuilt from a Stirling SER design by Harry Wainwright. At the front is 31107 which first emerged from Ashford works in June 1898 and was rebuilt in 1914. Withdrawn from 70A, Nine Elms shed, during August 1959, it was scrapped during February 1960. No.31047 in the centre entered service in August 1895, was rebuilt in 1913 and was finally withdrawn in March 1960 and scrapped the following month. No.31154 was built in 1892, rebuilt as an R1 in 1912 and withdrawn from Folkestone Harbour shed in September 1955 to be scrapped a month later. All three of these 0-6-0 tank locos were built at Ashford works and probably cut up there too. The Harbour Master's house is seen behind the signal box on the right.
Copyright photo by HC Casserley

The 1.05 pm service to Victoria is ready to leave Folkestone Harbour station in September 1955. No.31107 was built in 1898 for the South Eastern Railway to a design by James Stirling and assigned to Class R. Rebuilt by Harry Wainwright for the SECR in 1914 and reclassified R1, it passed to the Southern Railway at the Grouping and was renumbered in 1931 to 1107. Receiving the ‘3’ prefix at nationalisation, it was finally withdrawn from Nine Elms shed during August 1959 and scrapped during February of 1960. BR Southern Region green running-in boards were fitted, but  Folkestone Harbour did not receive totem signs. The Southern Railway target signs, seen in the 1950 picture above, appear to have been removed by this time.
Photo by John Aston

Folkestone Harbour station looking north along the viaduct from the up platform in May 1957.
Copyright photo by HC Casserley

A Boulogne ferry has just left the pier at Folkestone Harbour c1950s.

A boat train waits alongside the pier at Folkestone Harbour c1950s.

Two boat trains passing at Folkestone Harbour station c1950s. No.31010 is another of Wainwright's modified R1 class 0-6-0 tanks. Built in 1890 and numbered 10 by the SER, it was rebuilt by the SE&CR in 1913 and renumbered in 1931 by the SR to 1010 in 1931, and by BR to 31010 in 1948. It was withdrawn from Nine Elms shed during August 1959 and scrapped a month later. In 1930 The Southern Railway tried W and Z class locomotives on the harbour branch. They were unsuited to the line due to restricted clearances, and the R1 locomotives remained in use until replaced with ex-Western Region pannier tanks in 1959 prior to the electrification of the line.
Photo from John Mann collection

Folkestone Harbour station looking south from the level crossing in the 1950s.
Photo from John Mann collection


Looking north from the up platform (platform 2) at Folkestone Harbour station in the 1950s; the swing bridge is seen beyond the platform.
Photo from John Mann collection

Click here for Folkestone Harbour Station Gallery 4:
August 1960 - 14 March 2009



 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford)




Last updated: Saturday, 03-Feb-2018 23:58:16 GMT
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations