WALTON-ON-THE-HILL LOCOMOTIVE SHED

(8R)

[Source: Paul Wright]


A heavy goods train carrying a class J headcode passes its home depot Walton-on-the-Hill shed and heads north-east towards Fazakerley West Junction in the early 1960s. At the rear of the train having just emerged from Walton Hill tunnel is another locomotive engaged on banking duties. A train of this length and weight would have required a banking engine to assist it on the climb up from Huskisson goods station. The locomotive is a Fowler designed 0-6-0 4F number 44188. It was built at St Rollox works in April 1925, It lasted until November 1965 when it was withdrawn from Bescot shed and scrapped at Cashmores of Great Bridge in February 1966.


Walton-on-the-Hill Locomotive shed looking north-east in 1957. Nearest to the photographer is locomotive number 63598 which was built at Gorton works of the GCR in November 1911. A Robinson designed 2-8-0 and classified 04, this loco had a service life of nearly 51 years when it was withdrawn in October 1962. It was scrapped shortly after it was withdrawn.
Photo by Jim Peden


At the rear of Walton-on-the-Hill locomotive shed in April 1959 lies 'Pom Pom' J10 locomotive number 65133 out of use. On the tender can be see British Railways which pre-dated the lion and wheel emblem that began to be used by the late 1940s. 65133 was built in March 1900 at Gorton works. The engine was a Parker/Robinson design and lasted until withdrawal in December 1959. It was cut up at Gorton works four months later. Further information on the J10s can be found here.
Photo by Jim Peden


Walton-on-the-Hill locomotive shed looking north-east in the early 1960s. The area seen in the view had been part of the shed until 1952 when it was reduced from six to two roads.


Two ex LNER locomotives stand at Walton-on-the-Hill shed on 28 April 1957. Locomotive number 65177 was built at Gorton works to a Parker design in May 1901. Classified J10, it lasted until September 1959, when it was withdrawn from Walton-on-the-Hill shed and scrapped in the October. Behind the J10 is 61038, a Thompson designed B1 that entered service just before nationalisation in December 1947 at Darlington shed. Named ‘Blacktail’, It lasted just over 16 years in service and was withdrawn from 52A, Gateshead shed on 1 May1964 and broken up by Arnott Young, Dinsdale in
September of the same year
Photo by Jim Peden


Ex-LNER 0-6-0 J39/1 class locomotive number 64824 is seen at Walton-on-the-Hill shed in 1959. The locomotive was withdrawn on 29 March 1960.
Photo by Geoff Lloyd


Walton-on-the-Hill shed seen from the Huskisson branch in 1975.
P
hoto by Jim O'Hare

Looking south towards Walton-on-the-Hill shed in 1976.
Photo from Roger Griffiths collection


Looking south-west at Walton-on-the-Hill shed in April 1977.
P
hoto by Jim O'Hare


Looking south-west at the site of Walton-on-the-Hill shed on 7 February 2010.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Looking north-east towards the site of the Walton-on-the-Hill shed coaling area on 7 February 2010. The view is taken from a point that would have been just within the locomotive shed looking outwards.
P
hoto by Paul Wright


Looking south-west at the site of the Walton-on-the-Hill shed from its north-eastern end 7 February 2010. The turntable would have been to the left of the view where the houses stand.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Thursday, 18-May-2017 16:23:15 BST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations