[Source: Paul Wright]
Gateacre signal box looking south on 17 August 1970. The box was an all timber CLC type CL2b with a 20 lever frame. It opened on 6 December 1914 replacing an earlier box that had stood on the ground seen to the left. When this view was taken a section of the up line had been lifted from the box to the south end of the up platform at Gateacre station. To the north of the station the line became double track again. A section of bi-directional single line was therefore created through the station down platform. On 21 October 1972 the line north of Gateacre became a single track route all the way to Huskisson with Gateacre box controlling access onto and off the single track section. In August 1973 the box was burnt down. It was closed officially on 26 September 1973 and the line south to Hunts Cross became a single track also.
Photo by J A Sommerfield