Station Name: GATESHEAD EAST

[Source: Alan Young and Jonathan Clark]


The High Level Bridge over the River Tyne opened to regular passenger traffic on 15 August 1849, replacing an adjacent temporary structure which was in use for some months. This important link permitted through trains via the East Coast ‘Old Main Line’ to travel between London and Newcastle. The main line’s Gateshead terminus at Greenesfield (arrowed, and directly south of High Level Bridge) closed on 30 August 1850, and the following day the extended main line opened through to Edinburgh, with a station provided in its place on the through route – labelled ‘Station’ on the map, but without any detail of platforms or building


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young and Jonathan Clark]



Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:27:58 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations