Station Name: GATESHEAD EAST
[Source: Alan Young and Jonathan Clark]
1896 1:500 OS Town Plan. In 1884-6 the NER reconstructed Gateshead East station with two side platforms replacing the island platform, and the viaduct carrying the railway was widened on the north-eastern side to allow a spacious up platform to be accommodated. The associated waiting rooms and booking office are indicated; the down platform was not provided with such facilities. A waiting room and stairs are indicated in the building in the south-east corner of the map between Wellington Street and Hills Street. In 1868 Gateshead West station was added, also above the level of the existing streets, and - as at its neighbour - the booking and waiting facilities were on its up platform. The extent of the trainshed (roofing) at each station is indicated by a pecked line across the platforms and tracks. A footbridge at the northern end connects the four platforms of the two stations. The original access from Half Moon Lane is no longer shown.