Station Name: GATESHEAD EAST
[Source: Alan Young and Jonathan Clark]
Architect’s drawings of the existing building entered from Wellington Street at its junction with Hills Street and proposed alterations (1925). Note that the Wellington Street entrance (although ‘aggrandised’: Fawcett, 2005, p 97) was never as elaborate as shown on this document. Only the top floor of the Bankwell Lane structure was ever intended for passenger railway use. Click here for an even larger version.