Station Name: GATESHEAD EAST
In 1960 an electric multiple unit is crossing the High Level Bridge and is about to enter the up platform of Gateshead East station. Fifteen of these twin electric sets were built at BR Southern Region’s Eastleigh works and entered service on the Newcastle – South Shields line in 1955; they replaced stock built in 1920-22 for the north Tyneside services which was cascaded onto the South Shields line when the latter was electrified in 1938. Following the abandonment of electrification on the south bank of the Tyne, and the introduction of DMUs in January 1963, the Eastleigh units saw their days out on the Southern Region.
updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 09:27:58 CEST ||
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations