Station Name: GWERSYLLT HILL HALT

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.5.1906
Location: East of Westminster Road, a short distance south of its junction with Pisgah Hill.
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 1.1.1931
Date closed completely: 1.1.1931
Company on closing: Great Western Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ309530
Date of visit: 12.4.2012

Notes: Gwersyllt Hill Halt was situated on the Great Western Railway (GWR) Moss Valley branch which ran from a junction with the Wrexham & Minera Railway at Moss Junction to Moss and onwards to Brynmally Colliery. The line opened as a single-track railway on 11 May 1882. At two miles in length it had been constructed so that locomotive-hauled trains could reach collieries and other industrial premises at the north end of the Moss Valley. A railway from Wheatsheaf Junction, on the Chester and Shrewsbury line, to Minera had opened in 1847 and it passed through Moss and so was able to serve the industries there. The 1847 line was a great success but it was very steeply graded and had two rope-worked inclines which as the nineteenth century progressed impeded the smooth flow of traffic. The Moss Valley branch improved the situation greatly.

The line was built as a goods railway, but on 1 May 1905 the GWR introduced a ‘railmotor’ service between Wrexham General and Moss. Halts were opened at Gatewen, Pentre Broughton, Gwersyllt Hill and at Moss.

Gwersyllt Hill Halt was located on the west side of the Moss Valley to the west of the settlement from which it took its name. Its single wooden platform was on the west side of the line, and it possessed a corrugated iron waiting shelter. Gwersyllt was at a much higher elevation than the railway line and to connect it to the halt a sloping footpath with sections of steps was provided. The halt was unstaffed.

The July 1922 Bradshaw showed ten weekday departures from Gwersyllt Hill Halt for Moss Halt and ten for Wrexham General. On Saturdays there were thirteen services to Moss and to Wrexham. There was no Sunday service.

Bus competition had started to make inroads into passenger traffic receipts by the early 1920s. By the early 1930s passenger services on the

Wrexham and Moss line were hopelessly uneconomic, so the GWR withdrew the service completely with effect from 1 January 1931; Gwersyllt Hill Halt closed completely at that time. By the 1930s the mines of the Moss Valley were worked out and, as a result, the Moss Valley line closed in 1935 when Brynmally Colliery closed. The track remained in situ until 1952.

In the 1980s the valley was landscaped and a linear park created. The halt access footpath was in situ in 2012 and provided access to the park.


Ticket from Michael Stewart, Bradshaw from Nick Catford , route map drawn by Alan Young.

Sources:

  • British Railway Companies, C. Awdry, 1990, Guild Publishing.
  • Clinkers Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales - 1830 -1970 , C. R. Clinker & J. M. Firth, 1971
  • Marcher Railways, by A. Bodlander, M. Hambly, H. Leadbetter, D. Southern & S. Weatherley, 2008, Bridge Books.
  • Forgotten Railways - North and Mid Wales, Rex Christiansen, 1976, David & Charles.
  • Railway Passenger Stations in Great Britain, M Quick, 2009, RCHS.
  • Railway World - February 1987 - The Wrexham & Minera Joint Railway, Rex Christiansen, Ian Allan Publishing.
  • Bradshaw Timetable July 1922.


To see other stations on the Moss Valley Line click on the station name: Gatewen Halt, Pentre Broughton Halt, & Moss Halt

See also Wrexham and Minera Railway: Plas Power, The Lodge, Brymbo (GWR, Pentresaeson Halt, Coed Poeth, Vicarage Crossing Halt & Berwig Halt


Gwersyllt Hill Halt looking north in February 1980.
P
hoto by John Mann


Name
P
hoto by Paul Wright

The site of Gwersyllt Hill Halt looking south in April 2012. The platform had been located to the right.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking south at the site of Gwersyllt Hill Halt in April 2012. The path and steps to the right follow the alignment of the original access path.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking along the path that connected Gwersyllt Hill Halt to the public highway in april 2012. The halt was located at the bottom of the path which in 2012 acted as a public footpath link to the Moss Valley Park.
P
hoto by Paul Wright



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:40:08 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations