HARBORNE - GALLERY 1930 - 1958

[Source: Terry Callaghan]
 
The LNWR Type 4 signal box which controlled the movements in and around the station and goods sidings located at the Birmingham end of the platform.
Photo reproduced with kind permission from Harborne Library

A deserted station in the early 1930's seen from the goods yard.
Photo reproduced with kind permission from Harborne Library


The station buildings viewed 15 years after closure in 1949 with the platforms still being used for the storage of wood for the nearby toy factory.
Photo from the John Alsop Collection

An LNWR Webb 1P class 2-4-2T No 46757 was given the honour of hauling the first passenger service in 16 years along the branch and is seen here on 23 June 1950 along with the crowds which turned out to see the event.
Photo reproduced with kind permission from Harborne Library


Another view of the 23 June SLS special hauled by the LNWR 1P class 2-4-2T No 46757. The loco was built at Crewe works in July 1897 and was only 3 years away from withdrawl.
Copyright photo from the John Debbens collection

Although the turntable had been taken out of use in the 1940's it remained in-situ until the late 1950's when it was removed and the pit used to store sand.
Photo reproduced with kind permission from Harborne Library


The lifeblood of the line following the withdrawl of the passenger service in 1934 was the three dialy pick up freights which operated. Ex Midland Railway Johnson 2F 1142 class 0-6-0 No 58135 is seeen shunting mineral wagons in the station in the late 1950's.
Photo by Terence Heeks

58135 has formed its return working towards Birmingham and prepares to depart tender first for the short run along the branch. The locomotive was built at Derby works during May 1875 and would survive until 1961, being withdrawn from the nearby Monument Lane shed (21E).
Photo by Terence Heeks


Along with many other closed stations the buildings were utilised following closure and Harborne was no different with a local coal merchant taking over the premises.
Photo reproduced with kind permission from Harborne Library


To see pictures from Harborne 1959 - 2014 click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]





Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 10:02:01 BST
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations