Station Name: HASSENDEAN

[Source: Nick Catford]




Prize lengths were first introduced on the London & Birmingham in 1838 to encourage the gangs to get the newly laid track up to standard as quickly as possible. Other railways followed, and annual prizes are recorded in the NER, NER/Scottish, LNER and early BR magazines. The LNER (NE Area) certificates were in colour surmounted by the LNER heraldic device. In LNER days they were awarded for the best lengths in Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and sidings in each District Engineer's patch. In BR the categories of lines changed to A-D plus sidings. A typical ganger's length on the Waverley route would be 3 miles of double track, and the prize length would be shown to travellers by the cut-out steel signs as preserved at Goathland. With the advent of mechanised maintenance they disappeared
Certificates received from Tom Pyemont


Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 10:03:32 BST
© 1998-2011 Disused Stations