Hawick station c.1905. A passenger train stands in what is normally a goods dock. 341 is a North British D35 4-4-0. Designed by Mathew Holmes and built between 1894 and 1896, they were all withdrawn by the end of 1924. Note the signal post has no ladder. The lamp is seen here at its lowered position; this is to enable the lamp man to fill the lamp with oil. It is then winched back into position. The original signal box is seen on the left.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection