Station Name: HAWICK (2nd site)

[Source:Nick Catford]

879 & 880 at Hawick shed c.1907. Both of these locos were a North British, William Reid designed C11 class. Built at North British works, Cowlairs in August 1906, they had the original classification C10 but after being fitted with Robinson superheaters, they received the C11 classification. 879 received the name 'Abbotsford' and 880 was named 'Tweedale'. Passing into LNER ownership, they were renumbered 9879 and 9880, until disposal in November and October 1936 respectively. All the class were cut up but there was a plan to preserve 9875, Midlothian but repairs and WW2 saw it cut up.
Copyright photo from John Alsop & Roger Griffiths collections

Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 11:04:50 CEST
© 1998-2011 Disused Stations