Notes: The London Brighton & South Coast Railway opened its
line to Portsmouth in 1847; this included a station at Havant.
Initially there were no plans to build a branch to Hayling Island
but in 1860 a four and a half mile line was authorised from Havant
to Hayling Island with a 1100 foot timber viaduct with an opening
steel girder section across Langstone Harbour. Much of the line
on the island was built on reclaimed mudflats; there intermediate
stations at Langstone and North Hayling.
The line opened to Langstone for goods only on 19 January 1865
and to Hayling Island for goods and passengers on 16 July 1867.
Initially the terminus was named Hayling Island but was renamed
South Hayling in August 1969 reverting to its original name on
The line was moderately successful throughout its life but in
the early 1960's the condition of the bridge became unsafe and
despite local protests the £400,000m required to repair
the bridge could not be justified and the line closed after the
last train on 2.11.1962
For a full History of the Hayling Island branch and more photographs
E-Group web site.
For further reading Branch Lines of the Southern Railway Volume
1 by George Reeve & Chris Hawkins - Wild Swan Publications
1980 ISBN0 906867 01 0
for more pictures of the Station Theatre