Station Name: HEBDEN BRIDGE
Station still open but included for completeness

[Source: Alan Young]

This view, looking south-east, is of part of a panoramic view of 1881 and it includes the original station building at Hebden Bridge and the first bay of the goods warehouse (built in 1877). Victoria cotton mill dominates the centre of the photograph and May Royd Mill (dealing with corn, but later fustian cloth) is to the left. The town's gas works, with its prominent chimney is beyond the railway. The station building, with its alignment at right angles to the down platform and overhanging pitched roof, is reminiscent of the work of G T Andrews on the Hull / York-Scarborough lines and ‘Old Main Line’ in County Durham. However, there is no suggestion that he was involved in the design of Hebden Bridge station the original station building at Hebden Bridge and the first bay of the goods warehouse (built in 1877). Victoria cotton mill dominates the centre of the photograph and May Royd Mill (dealing with corn, but later fustian cloth) is to the left. The town's gas works, with its prominent chimney is beyond the railway. The station building, with its alignment at right angles to the down platform and overhanging pitched roof, is reminiscent of the work of G T Andrews on the Hull / York-Scarborough lines and ‘Old Main Line’ in County Durham; although Andrews was architect of the original Normanton station (eastern end of the original Manchester & Leeds Railway) and was active in the 1840s there is no suggestion that he was involved in the design of Hebden Bridge station.
Photo from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive
.


Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 10:07:08 BST
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations