Station Name: HOPPERTON
Looking east at Hopperton station in April 2016. The viewpoint is close to that used by Peter Sunderland in May 1959, and the contrast is enormous. The line through the station was singled in 1973-74. The down platform, on the far side of the line, was demolished by 1969. The level crossing in the foreground, used by the A1 road in 1959, now accommodates a farm track. The more distant of the two large bridges was opened on 25 June 1962 for the diverted A1, allowing traffic to flow freely without the obstruction of the level crossing. This road over this bridge has recently been reclassified as the A168, because the A1 (now upgraded to motorway status) follows a new route over the
nearer bridge (‘12B’). Below is a similar view in 1959.
by Alan Young
Photo by Peter Sunderland
updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 11:17:17 CEST ||
© 1998-2016 Disused Stations