upper floor. There was a standard design NER waiting shelter with a gents' toilet attached on the up platform.
|Notes: This station was originally to have been the terminus
of the Hull and Hornsea railway and was the goods station for
Hornsea throughout its existence. The passenger platforms which were constructed of timber were
on an embankment. The main building was of two storeys with the booking office at street level alongside the road bridge and a waiting room on the
The goods yard, which was at ground level, comprised two siding one passing through a goods shed. There was also a 2-ton crane. To the south of the station private sidings served the Hornsea Brick Company and the Hornsea Gas Company.
In 1911 12,411 tickets were sold (compared with 32,518 at Hornsea Town) and the main freight handled was gravel and sand, with 4,614 tons being dispatched. 353 wagons of livestock were also loaded at the station.
After closure to passengers in 1964 the station remained open for goods traffic until 3 May 1965.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HULL &
A line connecting the Hull-Scarborough branch at Arram to a
site near Hornsea Mere had been proposed in 1846/7 by the York
and North Midland Railway but never built due to the downfall
of chairman George Hudson amidst a financial scandal.
A new line connecting Hull and Hornsea was promoted by Hornsea
resident and Hull timber merchant Joseph Armytage Wade, the
aim of such a line being to develop Hornsea as a fashionable
Victorian seaside resort.
embankment which required
the ground to be piled adding substantially to the already escalating
||The first sod was turned by Wade on 8.10.1862. Problems were
encountered during construction due to the nature of the local
soil; there were further issues with poor workmanship and materials
used by the contractors. A late change of plan saw the line
extended from the proposed terminus at Hornsea Bridge to the
seafront; this meant construction of an
|Opened on 28.3.1864, the line ran in a fairly direct North
Easterly direction from Hull, the original Hull terminus was
Wilmington station, though after 1st June 1864 trains ran via
the Victoria Dock branch into Hull's Paragon station. Due to
lower than expected receipts and consequent financial difficulties,
the Hull and Hornsea Railway merged with the North Eastern
with goods services to Hornsea Bridge continuing until 3.5.1965.
||The line was constructed as a single track but was doubled
throughout in the early 1900s. Diesel railcars were introduced
from 71.1957 and operated local services from that date. Centralised
Traffic Control (automated signaling and level crossings) was
proposed in the early 1960's, but this was overtaken by the
'Beeching Report'. Closure to passengers came
Today, the trackbed of the railway forms the 'Hornsea
Rail Trail', also part of the 'Trans
Pennine Trail'- the majority of station buildings still
exist and the trackbed is virtually complete throughout.
Further reading 'The
Lost Railways of Holderness' by Peter Price (Hutton Press)
ISBN 0 0907033 86 5. Route map drawn by Alan Young.
To see the other
stations on the Hull & Hornsea Railway click on the station
(2nd station), Ellerby,
Wassand & Hornsea