[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 11.10.1870
Location: On the west side of Shrubery Road Hill
Company on opening: London Chatham & Dover Railway
Date closed to passengers: By 1930
Date closed completely: By 1930
Company on closing: Southern Railway
Present state: Demolished - nothing remains of the station although Network Rail have retained access to the track at this point with new steps down from the road bridge.
County: Kent
OS Grid Ref: TQ568694
Date of visit: 27.8.2005

Notes: A private station was built in 1870 to serve the Horton Kirby Boy's Home. There was only one platform on the down side of the line. The station was also known as Home For Little Boys.

Nothing remains of the station although some of the Boys' Home buildings remain. The east and west lodge and the main building have been incorporated into a modern retirement estate know as the Southdown Retirement Village.


Horton Kirby Boy's Home Station in March 1933 - several years after closure
Photo by R.W. Kidner

The site of Horton Kirby Boy's Home Station in August 2005
hoto by Nick Catford

The Horton Kirby Boys' Home in August 2005. The building is now part of the
Southdown Retirement Village
hoto by Nick Catford




:[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 11:18:22 CEST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations