Station Name: HUNDRED END
[Source:Tony Graham & Paul Wright]
The Saturdays only 12:37 am Preston to Southport Chapel Street service speeds through Hundred End station in August 1964. Although the station was closed at this time the unusual layout of its facilities can still be seen. To the left of the picture at the rear of the signal box is the station booking office. It is separated from the platforms by a road which can be seen crossing the line as a level crossing. The platforms at Hundred End were simple constructions consisting of timber retaining walls back filled with cinders. 42435 was built at Derby for the LMS to a design by Stanier. This class 4P, 2-6-4T entered service on 28.3.1936 numbered 2435, and had a working life of just over 29 years, being withdrawn from 9H, Patricroft on 3.4.1965 and cut up by Wards of Killamarsh in May of the same year.
Photo by D. Hampson