Station Name: HUNDRED END
[Source:Tony Graham & Paul Wright]
Looking north-east from the end of the former down platform at Hundred End station in August 1964. To the left of the picture is the Hundred End signal box which controlled the level crossing and the line through the station. A goods yard had existed at Hundred End station to the rear of the signal box on the north side of the line but it had closed on the 3rd of January 1957. The train was the Saturdays Only 11:16 Colne to Southport Chapel Street service which was under the control of Stanier Class 5MT Locomotive (Black 5) number 44753. This loco was built at Crewe Works in March 1948 to William Stanier design with Caprotti valve gear. Allocated to 8C, Speke Junction in November 1964, it was withdrawn less than 12 months later in July 1965 and scrapped by Birds of Long Marston in January 1966. Also worth noting is the gate wheel in the signal box, a rapidly disappearing feature of British Railways infrastructure.
Photo by D. Hampson