BRANCHES OF THE MIDDLESBROUGH & GUISBOROUGH RAILWAY
[Source: Ken Mell]
Nunthorpe or Morton Junction - the branch here is still in use. The junction, opened in 1864, was about a mile south east of Nunthorpe station and connected the Middlesbrough and Guisborough line with the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Railway at Battersby Junction. Trains using this line now have to reverse at Battersby Junction in order to take the Esk Valley route to Whitby.
Chaloner Junction – this was situated a few yards west of Pinchinthorpe Station. Here a mineral only line branched northwards to the Chaloner ironstone mine some two miles distant. This branch was opened in 1873 to join the private Chaloner branch that had previously been connected to the Cleveland Railway and was soon to be closed. The Chaloner branch was closed in October 1897. The signal box still stands by the main line and is in use as a store.
Lowcoss Junction also known as Hutton Junction and Codhill Junction at various times. – this was situated to the east of the old Pinchinthorpe station in Low Cross Woods. Here a mineral railway left in a south easterly direction to service the Pease ironstone mines at Codhill and Hutton. The branch was worked from the opening of the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway in 1853 and was closed about 1865. The course of the line can still be followed.
East of Hutton Gate station – A new branch was opened in 1907 to carry the output from the reopened Belmont ironstone mines. The branch ran parallel with the main line for some distance before climbing in a southerly direction to the reopened mine near Hunter Hill Farm. Production stopped in February 1921 and the line was abandoned shortly afterwards. Part of this branch can still be seen.
Hutton Junction – In 1861 the mineral only Cleveland Railway was constructed along the northern side of the valley between the Cleveland and Eston Hills. It came from Normanby jetty on the River Tees through Guisborough. It then passed over the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway just outside the station before striking eastwards towards Skelton, Brotton and Skinningrove. A short stretch of line joined the two railways branching from the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway at Hutton Junction and joined the Cleveland Railway a short distance to the east at Belmont Junction. When the Cleveland Railway west of Guisborough was closed in 1873 Belmont Junction ceased to exist and all traffic from the east used the Middlesbrough and Guisborough route through Hutton Junction. A short stretch of the Cleveland railway embankment at Belmont Junction can still be seen.
Narrow Gauge line to Guisborough Station In 1854 a private narrow gauge railway was constructed from the new Belmont ironstone mines to join the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway just outside its Guisborough terminus. Here the ironstone was transferred into standard gauge wagons for onward movement. This branch rose 200 feet above the town and included a self acting incline. It is thought that this line was used until 1886 when the Belmont mine was abandoned. A bridge where the private railway passed under the Cleveland Railway can still be seen.