Station Name: HYTHE (Kent)

[Source: Nick Catford and Brian Hart]


Hythe Station Gallery 2 c1950 - April 2014

Hythe station entrance c1950. The west end of the station building was destroyed when a German bomb hit the station during WW2. A buddleia bush quickly took root in the bombed-out parcels office.
Photo from Gresley Society


A Sandling train waits to depart from Hythe station c1951. The remains of the bomb-damaged parcels office are on the right. Note the down platform on the left: some of the timber platform edging has been removed. 31520 is an H class 0-4-4T, built for the SECR in June 1909 at Ashford works. A design by H. Wainwright, it lasted until August 1960, when it was withdrawn from Tonbridge shed and scrapped a month later, probably at Ashford works.
Photo from John Mann collection


31521 has arrived at Hythe with a service from Sandling Junction in August 1951. It has uncoupled from its coaches and is heading for the goods yard to perform shunting duties. This loco was built at Ashford works to a design by Wainwright.  Entering service during August 1909, this 0-4-4 tank had a working life of well over 52 years and was withdrawn on 19 May 1962 and scrapped a month later.
Photo by R C Riley

31521 is seen shunting in Hythe yard in August 1951. The 30 cwt yard crane is seen on the right between two sidings. The coal yard was on the right, but the sidings on the left which served the livestock dock (behind the photographer) have already been taken out of use and lifted. Although closed in July 1931 the signal box survived until closure of the station.
Photo by R C Riley


A Sandling Junction service waits to depart from Hythe station in August 1951. The old SER 'roader' parcels shed is seen on the left. A section of platform in front of the shed has been rebuilt in concrete indicating that the shed is still in use.
Photo from John Mann collection


Looking north-west from the former down line towards Hythe station ion October 1951. A Sandling service is awaiting departure. The station road bridge is seen in the foreground with a ground frame, bottom right, for controlling access to the down side sidings.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection,

SR Class C 0-6-0 31721 waits at Hythe station on Saturday 1 December 1951, the last day of public service. This loco was designed by Harry Wainwright for the SECR and built by Sharp Stewart. It entered service in January 1901 as 1721 and received the ‘3’ prefix at nationalisation. It carried this number until withdrawal after over 61 years service during March 1962, being scrapped in April of the same year at Ashford works. There is one example preserved at the Bluebell Railway as SECR No.592. This appeared in the Carlton TV version of The Railway Children as the 'Green Dragon'.
Photo by RF Roberts

Another view of 31721 at Hythe station on Saturday 1 December 1951, the last day of public service.
Photo by RF Roberts


The station site was cleared and redeveloped in the 1960s with new housing covering the station site. This view is looking north-west from the site of the Station Road bridge in September 1979.
Photo by John Mann


Looking south-east at the site of Hythe station from the east side of the
Blackhouse Hill bridge in April 2014.
Photo by Nick Catford

Looking north along Blackhouse Road at the massive bridge abutment in April 2014; the station
was to the right.
Photo by Nick Catford

The huge retaining wall built into the side of the hill as seen in April 2014. The station approach road and goods yard were above at this point.
Photo by Nick Catford

1 December 1951

April 2014

April 2014

April 2014

April 2014

April 2014

May 2014

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford and Brian Hart]



Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 10:21:19 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations