Notes: The Great Northern & Western Railway opened the
line between Athlone and Roscommon on the 13th February 1860,
and the extension to Castlerea was completed on the 15th November
1860. In 1863 the Sligo and Ballaghaderreen Junction Railway
was authorised to build a branch from Kilfree on the Sligo line.
The branch opened on 2nd November 1874 with an intermediate
station at Edmondstown; freight on the branch was mainly agricultural
with three passenger trains a day.
The line was absorbed into the Midland & Great Western
Railway in 1879 and a second intermediate station at Island
Road was opened on 1st July 1909.
The line closed to passengers and freight on 4th February 1963