Station Name: KILLINGWORTH
[Source: Alan Young]
1951-56 1: 2,500 OS map. Killingworth station with the racecourse sidings is seen, upper left, in the final decade in which it was open to passengers. The mineral railways are still in place, connecting with the East Coast main line. Although the colliery terraces have been demolished, the untidy and disfigured landscape still bears unmistakeable evidence of former coal mining, and the numerous allotments, an important part of the economy and culture of the ‘Great Northern Coalfield’, will be noted. In the lower right corner is ‘Dial Cottage’, the home of George Stephenson and his family, including his son, Robert, who was to become a distinguished railway engineer in his own right; their home is more commonly known as ‘Stephenson’s Cottage’.